RIP Hans Bethe (1906-2005)

• News
  • Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
Simfish
Gold Member
Great physicist who worked in the Manhattan project and won a Nobel Prize for his explanations of stellar fusion. Alas, but he is no more.

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Yes,a brilliant man.An american immigrant from the Nazi Germany,a brilliant theorist which worked with R.P.Feynman and had contributions to the foundations of QED.

As i side note,he set he record for longevity among Nobel Prize awarded physicists.

Daniel.

He came across as a really likable guy in some book I read, either "Genius" or "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" can't remember which was which.

Simfishy said:
Great physicist who worked in the Manhattan project and won a Nobel Prize for his explanations of stellar fusion. Alas, but he is no more.
:frown: :cry: :frown:

He will be missed.

franznietzsche said:
:frown: :cry: :frown:

He will be missed.
lol, no he won't. you didn't even know he was still alive a few days ago and you know it.

tribdog said:
lol, no he won't. you didn't even know he was still alive a few days ago and you know it.
actually, yes i did.

I don't believe you. I believe you knew that he hadn't died, just because you hadn't heard that he died. you didn't think about him though. If he would have died 40 years ago you would have felt the same way now as you do.

tribdog said:
If he would have died 40 years ago you would have felt the same way now as you do.

That changes anything i've said how?

because all of a sudden you say he will be missed.
DAMMIT don't make me explain myself when you know the point I'm trying to make.

I need a cigarette and I'm grumpy. How many days has it been?

tribdog said:
because all of a sudden you say he will be missed.
DAMMIT don't make me explain myself when you know the point I'm trying to make.

I need a cigarette and I'm grumpy. How many days has it been?

I could send you my special album, that'd fix your craving :biggrin:

damn!

Well at least he had a long and accomplished life. According to CNN he had good health even in his 90s (or at least stayed with it by the sounds of things).

I did know he was alive still (and in his late 90s). How? I watch a video interview with Feynman from 1981 (forget the name, think its "Pleasure of Finding Things Out" by Horizon). I pull this out and watch it every three months for entertainment when I'm drunk and have nothing to do :P Anyhow I just pulled it out last week. In it, he referred to Bethe. I googled the name and found:

http://bethe.cornell.edu and watched some videos of him lecture (from 1999)... and I couldn't find anything regarding him as dead on google at that point in time heh.

Last edited:
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
He held a lecture at 93...?That's outstanding...:approve:

Daniel.

tribdog said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

at least you are honest tribdog

marlon