To tell you what we should,
You’d know how much we miss you now,
And if we could, we would.

~

Last edited:
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
RIP the other four eight nobody talks about.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/us/who-died-helicopter-crash-kobe-altobelli-chester-zobayan-mauser.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/27/victims-calabasas-helicopter-crash/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/us/victims-helicopter-crash-kobe-bryant/index.html

Edit: it is generally considered extremely unethical for journalists to report the names and details of victims before authorities have had a chance to notify family members.

Likes BWV and russ_watters
That is terrible! Condolences to everyone who lost friends or loved ones.

morrobay
Gold Member
https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/inside-the-final-flight-of-the-doomed-helicopter-carrying-kobe-bryant/

That tragedy should not have happened, even the sheriffs dept had grounded their helicopters because of the marine layer. In good conditions the flight path would have followed highway 101 the major Western most freeway with 4 lanes in each direction. But they turned North East to avoid the marine layer. The last part of path was turning back to the West in direction of destination : Thousand Oaks .I went to High School in that area. It looks like as they entered the marine layer the pilot was disoriented and overshot the 101 and then turned South and hit the hillside. From flight path it is seen that the helicopter was going in opposite direction of destination

nsaspook
Science Advisor

morrobay
Gold Member
I watched the last NTSB news conference referenced to be following in post #32. The NTSB at this stage is very cautious and do not speculate at all . Looking forward to their preliminary report next week. However the internet , youtube and the news outlets have tens of reports by pilots speculating on the cause of crash.

Because of the marine layer the helicopter went inland and followed interstate 5 North then transitioned to route 118 in NW direction, then headed in SW direction to get to hwy 101 South of Calabasas as can be seen in lower right corner of the top link/map above. So that is how the helicopter got to positions that can be seen in 2nd and 3rd images in second link/flight path.

The pilot is and has been on VFR visual flight rules and now is approaching a very dense marine layer/fog. This pilot is very familiar with the terrain here and just made this exact flight the previous day in good weather (as shown in the link) So at this point he ascends to over 2000 ft to attempt to get over the marine layer and away from the terrain.( one pilot on youtube said the helicopter pilot at this time knew he was "in trouble"

This is the final phase: the helicopter is hovering/climbing. From the interviews with pilots , with no visibility when a helicopter is hovering there is nothing to indicate whether it could be moving forward,backward or sideways. Again the pilots interviewed said this is where he lost control and for unknown reason turned to the left and backward direction while going down hitting the hillside.

Last edited by a moderator:
nsaspook
Science Advisor

morrobay
Gold Member
The takeaway as i read this is that after the pilot notified that he was transitioning to area along Hwy 101. Burbank weather reported instrument flight rules (IFR) conditions. The pilot then requested special visible flight rules SVFR to proceed in airspace at less than VFR weather minimal.

So its possible as he was ascending to get above the marine layer along 101 with no visibility the helicopter was not level but ax and ay negative. Then he tried to go forward .

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Too much honor. I am a member of PF, but I am not "this community", especially if I express my personal opinion.

Yes and no. Is this a requirement to have an opinion? Yes, because I knew Bryant and why else should I watch a documentary about Nowitzki, and, no, I prefer football. I enjoyed watching Jordan and Pippen though. But this has nothing to do with my opinion, that I find it fundamentally wrong to mourn a celebrity's death and not mention all others.

I accept that my favorite sports channel mentions his death, because it's where it belongs to. It's also o.k. for a short newsline. I do not understand live coverage, breaking news and pretending it was a loss. It certainly is, for his wife and his other children, to whom I really wish all the best in these horrible moments. But the other people had probably a family, too.

Jones was remembered by scenes. Personally, it was a relief for him to die, because he was dement for quite some time. So I would understand video clips of interesting basket ball scenes with Bryant. But I cannot pretend to feel a loss. He retired 2016! And - as mentioned - I did not know him as a person. It is sad that such things happen, but they unfortunately happened to many people today, too. The fact that I know a name doesn't mean anything.
Maybe sone valid points but doesnt seem like the right time and place.

nsaspook
Science Advisor