What happened to Little Bear while I was in Ireland?

• News
  • Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Integral's Ireland trip had some setbacks including a lack of hot water, trouble with international calling, and uncomfortable shoes. However, the biggest blow came when he received an email that his dog, Little Bear, had to be put to sleep. Integral is devastated and wishes he could be home with his family during this difficult time. Other forum members offer their condolences and share their own experiences with losing beloved pets.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My Ireland trip got off to a bit of a rough start, the hotel I was in did not have consistent hot water and I had some trouble figuring out international calling. Then I realized that the very thin soled shoes I chose to bring were not ideal for all of the walking I was doing on pavement, by the weekend I could hardly walk. Now that my feet have adjusted and I can comfortably walk again, it is nearly time to go.

The biggest blow, however, came this morning with an email from my wife, it seems that our dog had medical issues and had to be but to sleep yesterday. :cry:

RIP Little Bear

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/mrbear.JPG

I can't believe that I will never again get annoyed by his barking, never again get to stroke is little head. The poor guy was born with a curved left rear thigh bone so he was essentially had only 3 legs his whole life, had it not been for that I think he would have been a show quality Pomerainian.
I will miss him, and wish that I could be home with my family to help them through these very difficult times. He was a member of the family and loved very much by all of us. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's awful, Integral!
I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Ireland, all the same.

Thank you for your thoughts!

I am on my way home tomorrow morning so the trip is pretty well over with. I am going to head out for a bit more site seeing this afternoon. I am not enough of a drinker to really do what is done most in Dublin on Friday evenings, so I will go for a walk throught the Temple Bar district to engage in one of my traveling activities... People watching.

my condolescences Integral.

Integral, that's rough when a pet dies while you're away from home. :frown: You'll feel so strange when you walk in the door and he doesn't run up to greet you. My condolences.

I'm just worn out and tired now. Was up until 2 AM unpacking and putting away stuff, trying to get blinds up on windows (I know I hit the studs at least...they were pretty difficult to screw in...my last house was totally different with plaster walls that required wall anchors for everything, so I'm more used to starting to put a screw in, it suddenly punches through plaster, and then I remember to put in an anchor in the big hole I created). I'm really procrastinating moving from the kitchen table at the moment. Sat down to have coffee and my muscles are arguing that I really shouldn't move again for at least 3 days.

Kerrie, good luck with the last days of the pregnancy! I hope you'll post pictures when the little cutie arrives! Looking forward to the birth announcement. :smile:

Integral said:
RIP Little Bear

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/mrbear.JPG

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I am so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, too. What a little sweetheart. There are lots of animal lovers here and we empathize!

Math Is Hard said:
I'm sorry, too. What a little sweetheart. There are lots of animal lovers here and we empathize!
He was a wonderful little dog indeed. I just got off the phone with my wife, she is in pretty bad shape and I am not there.. :cry:

Thanks again for your support (everyone!)

I did not mean to hijack Ivan's thread.. I don't know...Evo, should this be a separate thread?

Integral said:
He was a wonderful little dog indeed. I just got off the phone with my wife, she is in pretty bad shape and I am not there.. :cry:

Thanks again for your support (everyone!)

I did not mean to hijack Ivan's thread.. I don't know...Evo, should this be a separate thread?
It might be nice for Little Bear to have his own memorial thread. My dog died about a month ago, so I know how painful this is. :frown: They really are friends & family to us.

He's so cute. :cry:

Integral said:

I'm all over it, Integral. I'll call her on my way to work today and this evening, too, if I get the chance.

Evo said:
It might be nice for Little Bear to have his own memorial thread. My dog died about a month ago, so I know how painful this is. :frown: They really are friends & family to us.
Evo, I didn't know about your dog. I am sorry to hear that. Was this your little lap dog?

Math Is Hard said:
Evo, I didn't know about your dog. I am sorry to hear that. Was this your little lap dog?
No, it was Kevin, the Brittany Spaniel. His nick name was "the love dog", and he always walked around with a stuffed animal in his mouth, ALWAYS, they were his babies.

The little fruit bat is alive and well.

That is terrible :cry: My condolences as well.

Integral, we're very sorry to hear about Little Bear. :frown:

It's always terribly sad to lose a member of the family.

Evo said:
No, it was Kevin, the Brittany Spaniel. His nick name was "the love dog", and he always walked around with a stuffed animal in his mouth, ALWAYS, they were his babies.
How cute! Reminds me of a cat we had named Annabelle who always carried around an oven mitt in her mouth. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
How cute! Reminds me of a cat we had named Annabelle who always carried around an oven mitt in her mouth. :smile:
:biggrin: I can just picture that.

My condolensces Integral, especially since you weren't able to be there.

That's terrible, Integral. As they say in Ireland, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

loseyourname said:
That's terrible, Integral. As they say in Ireland, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
:grumpy: Can you translate for those of us that don't speak Gaelic?

"May his soul be on God's right-hand side".

That's awful, sorry to hear that. :frown:

Evo said:
:grumpy: Can you translate for those of us that don't speak Gaelic?

What Astronuc said. It's a standard headstone inscription.

Very sorry for you and your family, Integral. :frown: :smile:

I came across a virtual pet cemetery where people can post pictures and tributes to their pets and comfort each other. The memorials are very touching. http://www.pets.ca/petsites/index_cemetery.php
Our deepest condolences on the loss of your pet. We at Pets.ca, hope to give you this opportunity to share your grief, love and respect in a virtual pet tribute. The pets.ca virtual pet cemetery is dedicated to preserving the memory of our beloved pets. There is no charge whatsoever for this service.

Our family has all ways had a companion pooch, it is just so hard when ones
life is over, but it is good to remember that he/she had a good and happy life.

What happened to Little Bear while I was in Ireland?

There are a few possibilities for what could have happened to Little Bear while you were in Ireland:

1. Did Little Bear go missing?

It's possible that Little Bear wandered off and got lost while you were away. Make sure to check with neighbors and local animal shelters to see if anyone has found him.

2. Was Little Bear taken care of by someone else?

If you left Little Bear with a friend or pet sitter while you were in Ireland, it's likely that they took care of him. You can ask them for updates and check in on how he is doing.

3. Did Little Bear get sick or injured?

It's possible that Little Bear experienced a health issue while you were away. If he was left alone, it's possible that he got into something that made him sick. Make sure to take him to the vet if you notice any changes in his behavior or health.

4. Was Little Bear okay while I was gone?

If you left Little Bear at home alone, it's possible that he was just fine and nothing out of the ordinary happened. However, it's always a good idea to check in on him and make sure he has enough food, water, and a comfortable living space.

5. Did Little Bear adjust well when you returned?

If Little Bear was left alone or with a pet sitter while you were away, he may have experienced some anxiety when you returned. Make sure to give him lots of love and attention to help him readjust to your presence in his life.