Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP Natasha Jane Richardson

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Two days ago, on 16 March 2009, Natasha Richardson was injured in a skiing accident at the Mont Tremblant Resort. She apparently took a spill and received a concussion. It seems that she initially felt fine, but her trainer and others insisted she see a doctor and she eventually went to hospital. She had apparently suffered a severe brain injury.

She died this evening.

Natasha Jane Richardson is the wife of actor Liam Neeson, with whom she had two sons. She is the daughter of the actress Vanessa Redgrave and the director/producer Tony Richardson. She was 45 yrs old.

I've always enjoyed her performances.

RIP Ms. Richardson. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2
    Just heard, what a tragedy. My condolences to family, and loved ones.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3

Evo

Wow, fell on a bunny slope under the guidance of a trainer. Did her head hit a rock? What a tragic, senseless accident. I feel for her two young sons.

Just makes you realize that there may never be a tomorrow to realize your dreams.

5. Mar 18, 2009 #4
  6. Mar 18, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been a skier since I was...seven or eight? When I was a kid, no one ever, ever wore a helmet - it was unheard of. Now, about 50% of people on the slopes wear them.

Please, PFers...you spend so much time filling your beautiful brains with ideas, and training those brains to do calesthenics most people find spectacular! Please, if you ski (or bike, or skateboard, or...whatever), wear one of these:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5374/skihelmet.jpg [Broken]

That's my ski helmet (yes that's a band-aid). Protect your brain, for crying out loud! Don't be an idiot!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Mar 18, 2009 #6
    It's too rare IMO - something that wouldn't happen in next many decades.

8. Mar 18, 2009 #7

russ_watters

9. Mar 18, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most of the deaths here are avalanches off-piste - especially snow mobillers.
    They reported 30deaths in the region in the last 20years, 14 due to head injuries of which 2 were wearing helmets - the calls for mandatory helmet laws started as soon as the first politician's public relations people heard the news.

10. Mar 18, 2009 #9

russ_watters

I don't know that i'm ever going to wear a helmet skiing. I'd like to hear the circumstances of this incident, but most seem to be due to stupidity/irresponsibility. So you have direct control over your risk factor.

11. Mar 18, 2009 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're going to wear a knit cap anyway, right? I can tell you from personal experience, the helmet is actually more comfortable than a knit cap. It doesn't itch. And, it pulls the goggles off of your face just a little bit so fogging is no longer a problem.

What's the downside? A knock to your pride?

12. Mar 18, 2009 #11

russ_watters

It's not about pride. I'm a creature of habit and very particular about doing things the way i want.

13. Mar 19, 2009 #12
    I'm very curious to hear the specifics of this situation as they come out.

I don't wear a helmet while skiing, but wear a helmet while snowboarding.

14. Mar 19, 2009 #13
    Ski helmets are great. Safety aside, they keep you warm, block the wind, and stay in place better than warm hats. They don't block your peripheral vision, and they stick right to your head well enough that you don't even notice it's there. Highly recommend to anyone who skis or snowboards.

15. Mar 19, 2009 #14

Borek

He played a widower in Love, Actually. Cheap association, but I can't stop it.

16. Mar 19, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Without knowing exactly where she fell and hit her head, it is likely impossible to know what happened. All it takes is a critical blow to the a critical spot on the head.

There's some discussion in this article, but no specifics.
    Could a Helmet Have Saved Natasha Richardson?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599188611500 [Broken]

Another article mentioned that one of her passions was food. She was a guest judge on "Top Chef".

My mom used to nurse people with head trauma. One of the nurses she work with hit her head on the corner of a tall delivery cart in the hallway of the hospital. The cart was being pushed along an intersecting hallway and she walked into it as it came around a corner. Besides a painful bump, she seemed to feel fine. Well she later developed a headache, slipped into a coma and died. That was pretty profound for me since I've received numerous hard smacks or bangs to the head over the years, including a time when I flipped off a bicycle and landed head-first on the sidewalk (when I was about 14 or 15).

'Minor' head injuries can turn serious rapidly, experts say
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/18/brain.injury/index.html

17. Mar 19, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Some of the most serious injuries on the mountain (even on a beginner's slope) can be suffered by beginners who have not yet learned how to control their falls. I have hauled people off mountains in a toboggan that had suffered hyper-extensions, sprains, and broken bones while falling on pretty gentle slopes.

My condolences to her family.

18. Mar 19, 2009 #17
    They say she was healthy but I wonder if she had any other problem/accident unrelated to the skiing accident.

But, her accident scenario doesn't look really dangerous:
    It's similar to slipping and falling on a slippery hard floor.

19. Mar 19, 2009 #18

Astronuc

But if one reads the other article I cited, 'Minor' head injuries can turn serious rapidly, experts say
    ( http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/18...ury/index.html [Broken] ), looking fine (from the outside) often happens with a head injury. Any rupture of a blood vessel within the cranium is not readily apparent, and can only be discerned by monitoring the person or doing a scan with some diagnostic machine like an MRI.

Richardson apparently claimed to feel fine immediately after the accident, but within an hour she was not feeling well and complained of a headache. As it was, she went to a local hospital, Centre Hospitalier Laurentien, after complaining of feeling unwell, and was transferred from there to the Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur de Montréal in critical condition. She should have been sent to Montréal.

The conseqences of such an accident depend on where on the head receives the blow and the age and health of a patient. The older one is, the less elastic the blood vessels. I've definitely noticed a difference when I get injured these days, as opposed to 30 years ago, especially when I receive a blow to the head. The last time I got hit in the head, I saw stars.

20. Mar 19, 2009 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2009/03/19/natasha_richardson/ [Broken]

21. Mar 19, 2009 #20

Astronuc

Autopsy: Natasha Richardson died from hitting head
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_natasha_richardson [Broken]
    The probability of an epidural or subdural hematoma should have been cause enough to send straight away to hospital with the appropriate TBI care unit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook