Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP Neil Armstrong

1. Aug 25, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

RIP Neil Armstrong - 1st man on the moon

First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82: NBC
    http://news.yahoo.com/first-man-moon-neil-armstrong-dead-82-u-191252056.html [Broken]

I remember watching the moon landing - in black and white.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Aug 25, 2012 #3

jtbell

Re: RIP Neil Armstrong - 1st man on the moon

So did I:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19796&d=1248145110.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=19797&d=1248145110.jpg

It was in the dormitory lounge of the college where I was taking a summer-school class between my junior and senior years of high school. Most students didn't have TVs in their rooms in those days, so we all gathered in the lounge that evening and I parked my camera on a small tripod in front of the TV set, at a bit of an angle so as not to block the direct view.

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4

Evo

I don't believe that it was broadcast in color on tv back then. I watched it at my best friend's house.

R.I.P Neil

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5
    My wife wants to know, if they can put a man on the moon, why can't they put all men on the moon? RIP Neil Armstrong.

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6

jtbell

Right, the transmissions from the lander were B&W, probably because of limited radio bandwidth, or limited weight capacity for the camera. I'm pretty sure at least one of the preceding moon-orbiting Apollo missions had a color TV camera on board, in the command module, in which case Apollo 11 would have had one, too. I think I remember seeing those earlier broadcasts at home. Or maybe I'm confusing them with later Apollo missions.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  8. Aug 25, 2012 #7
    I remember being glued to the TV watching the LM descend and then suddenly horrified as it swung violently to the right for no apparent reason. Nobody else around me seemed to notice, but it turned out what the low resolution cameras didn't show was a surface covered in boulders. He had maybe 30 seconds of extra fuel for the landing and had to find a safe spot fast. Not being one to leave anything to chance he had practiced in the simulator maybe 300,000 times and the rest is history.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  9. Aug 25, 2012 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Aug 25, 2012 #9
    It was an extremely memorable day for me. We had it on TV too but I was highly distracted after having witnessed this crash only hours earlier:

11. Aug 25, 2012 #10
    One day, we will return to the age where no living human has walked on the moon. That's a little depressing.
    65_years.png

From xkcd. http://xkcd.com/893/

12. Aug 25, 2012 #11
    Re: RIP Neil Armstrong - 1st man on the moon

Amazing pictures!

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

13. Aug 25, 2012 #12

Astronuc

The father of one of the kids in the neighborhood got some movie reel footage of the landing taken from the module. IIRC, it was large frame film, something like 65 mm. We used to watch it at his house. It was pretty cool.

14. Aug 25, 2012 #13

turbo

Gold Member

The first Moon landing was incredible. I was always a nut about the space program, from its inception.

15. Aug 25, 2012 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Summer of '69 , wow, golden memories. My buddy and I happened to be passing through his house and caught the landing. It could have been color, I would not have known and we never though of it, as none of us had a color tv! I spend my time activly avoiding indoors and TV in those days so we didn't hang around long.

I too grew up with the space program, I recall having a model of the X-15. Don't hear much about those days of space program.

Go Curisoity!

16. Aug 25, 2012 #15
    This may make her sad:
    http://what-if.xkcd.com/7/

:)

17. Aug 25, 2012 #16
    I was off my rocker while watching Curiosity's live landing... I can only imagine the excitement behind witnessing the first human being to ever walk on the moon complete his feat; almost as if you were there yourself.

It's sad to see him go, but it's better to celebrate his achievements than it is to mourn over his passing.

18. Aug 25, 2012 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Meanwhile, on NBC:

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/political-pictures-and-heres-how-nbc-reported-the-news-today.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  19. Aug 26, 2012 #18
    RIP Neil Armstrong.

Your footprint and the lunar module on moon represents the enormous capability of human beings.

20. Aug 26, 2012 #19

Dembadon

Gold Member

Picard+is+an+animal+_e4b98fb66e9de49556dda7ddf270cc3e.jpg

21. Aug 26, 2012 #20

Borg

Gold Member

Godspeed Mr. Armstrong. Thank you for the hope that you gave us all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook