RIP Python Terry Jones: Remembering A Legend

In summary, Terry Jones was a brilliant and talented comedian and actor who has passed away at the age of 81.
Technology news on Phys.org
Having been a long time fan of Monty Python (having seen taped versions of the original series, and seen all of their films), this is indeed sad news. Although not entirely unexpected, since he had been living with dementia for a while.

RIP Terry Jones.

Likes WWGD, pinball1970 and davenn
Terry Jones showed a unique comedic style even within Monty Python. His portrayal of common people thrust into ridiculous situations always brings a smile and gentle laughter.

Likes WWGD, StatGuy2000, pinball1970 and 1 other person
So sad, another wonderful actor and comedian "shakes off his mortal coil" :cry::cry::cry:

just classic ...

Likes WWGD, StatGuy2000 and Klystron
davenn said:
So sad, another wonderful actor and comedian "shakes off his mortal coil" :cry::cry::cry:

just classic ...

I like the chorus very much: "Yes, we are all individuals!"

Likes StatGuy2000 and davenn
StatGuy2000 said:
Having been a long time fan of Monty Python (having seen taped versions of the original series, and seen all of their films), this is indeed sad news.
I've been a long-time fan as well, since about '73 or so. I was living in a Washington (state) city close to the border with B.C., close enough that we could pick up TV stations from Vancouver and Victoria. One station ran "And Now for Something Completely Different," and their bizarre humor struck a chord with me.

The original six have lost two of their number, with Graham Chapman gone for several years, and now Terry Jones as well.

Likes Klystron, WWGD, StatGuy2000 and 2 others
Mark44 said:
about '73 or so

Me, too. I was in high school and a classmate came up with a copy of the record album. Not sure how he got it, as "imports" were kind of unusual in those days. We listened to that thing over & over. A few years later the TV show started airing on Public Television ("UHF" remember that?).

Maybe my buddy had a connection in the UK or Canada, he also had import albums by the Bonzos, pretty much unheard of in the US then.

Likes davenn and StatGuy2000
gmax137 said:
Me, too. I was in high school and a classmate came up with a copy of the record album. Not sure how he got it, as "imports" were kind of unusual in those days. We listened to that thing over & over. A few years later the TV show started airing on Public Television ("UHF" remember that?).

Maybe my buddy had a connection in the UK or Canada, he also had import albums by the Bonzos, pretty much unheard of in the US then.
I think I still have the 'contractual obligation,' album.
He sang 'Never be rude to an Arab,' 'Im so worried,' and from memory 'muddy knees'
I think Michael Palin had some of the best lines from the sketches but if I had to pick the python that was just genuinely bat sh1t crazy it was always him.
Election special, swamp castle and communist quiz three of my favourites

Likes Klystron and davenn

1. Who was Terry Jones and why is he considered a legend?

Terry Jones was an English actor, comedian, screenwriter, film director, author, and historian. He was best known for being a member of the Monty Python comedy group, which created influential and groundbreaking comedy sketches and films in the 1960s and 1970s. He is considered a legend because of his immense contribution to the world of comedy and entertainment.

2. How did Terry Jones pass away?

Terry Jones passed away on January 21, 2020 at the age of 77 due to complications from a rare form of dementia called frontotemporal dementia. He had been battling the disease for several years before his death.

3. What are some of Terry Jones' most famous works?

Terry Jones' most famous works include his roles in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, and Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. He also wrote and directed several films, including Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Monty Python's Life of Brian.

4. How did Terry Jones' death impact the entertainment industry?

Terry Jones' death was met with an outpouring of grief and tributes from fans, colleagues, and celebrities from around the world. His passing marked the end of an era for comedy and entertainment, as he was one of the most influential and beloved figures in the industry. Many people also used his death as an opportunity to raise awareness about frontotemporal dementia and the importance of early detection and treatment.

5. What is Terry Jones' legacy?

Terry Jones' legacy is one of creativity, innovation, and laughter. He will always be remembered as a comedic genius and a pioneer in the world of comedy and entertainment. His work continues to inspire and entertain audiences of all ages, and his impact on the industry will never be forgotten.