Robin Williams Found Dead | ABC7 News

• News
  • Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Robin Williams was found dead at his home in unincorporated Tiburon this morning.Reports are that it was a suicide due to asphyxia, and his publicist confirms that he had been battling depression of late. He was one of the most innovative comedians ever, and his death is a major loss to the comedy industry.
Physics news on Phys.org
:cry:

You can have everything...and feel you have nothing.

It was often mentioned he had bipolar disorder but I expected to find out it was a hidden heart condition or fast acting cancer when I opened this thread.

Williams was found unconscious and pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities are investigating the death, and an autopsy is forthcoming, but initial evidence points to "a suicide due to asphyxia," according to Marin Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd.

In a brief statement, publicist Mara Buxbaum said Williams had been "battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/c...dead-of-apparent-suicide-at-63-231414092.html

The actor spoke publicly about his battle with substance abuse. In 2006, he sought treatment for alcoholism after 20 years of sobriety. A rep for the actor said in a statement that Robin "found himself drinking again and has decided to take proactive measures to deal with this for his own well-being and the well-being of his family."
As I recall, he battled depression and substance abuse, which makes dealing with depression difficult, and can worsen the condition.

RIP RW/Mork.

Nanu NanuSeize the day, or at least the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fu-hq3S7A#

Last edited:
A major loss to comedy. He was one of the most innovative comics ever and was probably the only one who could ad-lib with Jonathan Winters and hold his own. He will be missed.

One is glad to be of service.

RIP. He was always one of my favourites. Way too young to go.

phinds said:
A major loss to comedy. He was one of the most innovative comics ever and was probably the only one who could ad-lib with Jonathan Winters and hold his own. He will be missed.

I agree - an absolutely brilliant improvisationalist.

I only saw him live once. He showed up unannounced at the club I used to work at, with Sam Kinison (who I just mentioned in a recent thread - weird coincidence!). This would have been about 1985 or 86.

Aside from his comedy, I enjoyed many of his acting roles.

What a tragedy that he felt so lost! My condolences to his family.

I've had fond memories of Robin Williams from watching in syndication his hit TV show Mork & Mindy (still one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen), and have greatly enjoyed many of his films, both comedies and dramas. This is very sad news.

My condolences to his family for this tragic loss. RIP.

I didn't care too much for Robin Williams until the last 7-8 years. However, when I saw Christopher Nolan's Insomnia I realized his acting ability in non comical roles. His portrayal of hardened and evil writer isn't easy to pull off but it was more than believable. He again blow me away in Good Will Hunting as the brilliant but humble psychologist who could bench 225lbs. Quite frankly, I don't know of any other actor that could of played either of those roles.

While many will remember him as comic artist, I will remember his ability to play some dark dramatic roles with a level intensity and realism that few actors can convey.

It's startling that an actor that brought so much laughter to audiences was battling the demons of depressions.

Likes 1 person
A friend of mine worked on The Crazy Ones, I think in post-production. He posted a lot on Facebook about how Robin was a really great guy and would always buy them lunch, and gave them all a nice gift after the season was over.

You know last night I just about posted "Robin Williams Live at the Met" in the Classic Standup Moments thread. I was a little young for Mork and Mindy, but I've seen a few re-runs - enough to recognise at least a few original elements that a lot of actors and comedians try to emulate today.

Good night, Vietnam.

czelaya said:
He again blow me away in Good Will Hunting as the brilliant but humble psychologist who could bench 225lbs.

I think besides reruns of Mork and Mindy on Nick at Nite, this was the first role I really saw him in. He's even better when, a few years later, you merge two movies and marvel at the man who choked the s*&t out of Jason Bourne.

"You're the shepherd."

RIP Robin :(

RIP O Captain! My Captain!

He was a great actor!
RIP forever!:cry:

He was more than a comedian. He was a great actor. One of my favorites at least.
R.I.P. Robin.

He sure will be missed :(

Having depression myself I know how horrific it is, it is a constant battle that is sadly sometimes lost.

Robin Williams was one of those 'special' people, that are very rare, RIP Robin.

My daughter really liked his part in Jumanji.

OMG. I just saw this on HLN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaHj3z_DCMc

WBC can't let Robin W rest in peace, but a comedian turns the table. The WBC have said they will picket his funeral. Adam Hills shares his views on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What was the cause of Robin Williams' death?

According to the coroner's report, Robin Williams died by suicide due to asphyxia caused by hanging.

2. How did the public find out about Robin Williams' death?

The public found out about Robin Williams' death when his publicist released a statement to the media, announcing that he had passed away.

3. What was the reaction to Robin Williams' death?

The reaction to Robin Williams' death was widespread shock and sadness from fans, friends, and colleagues in the entertainment industry. Many people also shared stories and memories of how he had impacted their lives.

4. Was there any indication that Robin Williams was struggling with mental health issues before his death?

According to his wife, Robin Williams had been struggling with depression, anxiety, and the early stages of Parkinson's disease before his death. He had also recently completed a stint in rehab for drug and alcohol addiction.

5. What is the legacy of Robin Williams' life and career?

Robin Williams was a beloved and talented actor and comedian who brought joy and laughter to millions of people around the world. He will be remembered for his iconic roles, his quick wit, and his ability to make people of all ages and backgrounds laugh. His death also brought attention to the importance of mental health awareness and seeking help for those struggling with mental illness.