Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RIP Robin Williams

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

4. Aug 11, 2014 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

:cry:

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4
    Reports are that it was a suicide

6. Aug 11, 2014 #5

Evo

You can have everything...and feel you have nothing.

7. Aug 11, 2014 #6
    It was often mentioned he had bipolar disorder but I expected to find out it was a hidden heart condition or fast acting cancer when I opened this thread.

8. Aug 11, 2014 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/c...dead-of-apparent-suicide-at-63-231414092.html

As I recall, he battled depression and substance abuse, which makes dealing with depression difficult, and can worsen the condition.

RIP RW/Mork.

Nanu Nanu

Seize the day, or at least the moment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fu-hq3S7A#

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. Aug 11, 2014 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

A major loss to comedy. He was one of the most innovative comics ever and was probably the only one who could ad-lib with Jonathan Winters and hold his own. He will be missed.

10. Aug 11, 2014 #9

Curious3141

Homework Helper

One is glad to be of service.

RIP. He was always one of my favourites. Way too young to go.

11. Aug 11, 2014 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree - an absolutely brilliant improvisationalist.

I only saw him live once. He showed up unannounced at the club I used to work at, with Sam Kinison (who I just mentioned in a recent thread - weird coincidence!). This would have been about 1985 or 86.

Aside from his comedy, I enjoyed many of his acting roles.

What a tragedy that he felt so lost! My condolences to his family.

12. Aug 11, 2014 #11

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I've had fond memories of Robin Williams from watching in syndication his hit TV show Mork & Mindy (still one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen), and have greatly enjoyed many of his films, both comedies and dramas. This is very sad news.

My condolences to his family for this tragic loss. RIP.

13. Aug 11, 2014 #12
    I didn't care too much for Robin Williams until the last 7-8 years. However, when I saw Christopher Nolan's Insomnia I realized his acting ability in non comical roles. His portrayal of hardened and evil writer isn't easy to pull off but it was more than believable. He again blow me away in Good Will Hunting as the brilliant but humble psychologist who could bench 225lbs. Quite frankly, I don't know of any other actor that could of played either of those roles.

While many will remember him as comic artist, I will remember his ability to play some dark dramatic roles with a level intensity and realism that few actors can convey.

It's startling that an actor that brought so much laughter to audiences was battling the demons of depressions.

14. Aug 11, 2014 #13

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A friend of mine worked on The Crazy Ones, I think in post-production. He posted a lot on Facebook about how Robin was a really great guy and would always buy them lunch, and gave them all a nice gift after the season was over.

15. Aug 11, 2014 #14

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You know last night I just about posted "Robin Williams Live at the Met" in the Classic Standup Moments thread. I was a little young for Mork and Mindy, but I've seen a few re-runs - enough to recognise at least a few original elements that a lot of actors and comedians try to emulate today.

Good night, Vietnam.

16. Aug 11, 2014 #15
    I think besides reruns of Mork and Mindy on Nick at Nite, this was the first role I really saw him in. He's even better when, a few years later, you merge two movies and marvel at the man who choked the s*&t out of Jason Bourne.

"You're the shepherd."

17. Aug 12, 2014 #16

Borek

RIP Robin :(

18. Aug 12, 2014 #17
    RIP O Captain! My Captain!

19. Aug 12, 2014 #18

Lisa!

Gold Member

He was a great actor!
    RIP forever!:cry:

20. Aug 12, 2014 #19

ShayanJ

Gold Member

He was more than a comedian. He was a great actor. One of my favorites at least.
    R.I.P. Robin.

21. Aug 12, 2014 #20
    He sure will be missed :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook