Understanding Rising Acceleration: Calculation and Terminology Explained

• Thread starter disregardthat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: However, if you don't know the average jerk, then you can't use this method to calculate the time between two points.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
I am just wondering what this concept is called.
(I have no education is this sort of math...)

Acceleration is: (v2-v1)\(t2-t1)=average accalearation

Like: (10m\s-5m\s)\(3s-1s) = 5m\s\2s = 2.5m\s^2

Right?

Ok, I was wondering what the rising acceleration is called, and if this is the correct way of calculating it:

Average rising acceleration: (20m\s^2-5m\s^2)\(7s-2s) = 15m\s^2/5s = 15m\s^3

Where 15m\s^3 is the rising acceleration. Is this way correct and what is it called?

Physics news on Phys.org
The time derivative, or rate of change, of acceleration is technically called "jerk." Average jerk will be calculated in an analagous way to average acceleration, and so, yes, your method of calculation is correct.

(Although, you have a typo in your last line: j=15/5=3ms-3).

Thanks!

So, the jerk is 3m\s^3. I believe that it is "jerk" that is used when calculating gravity when you find out how much the acceleration is at different length's from the earth.

Hmmm, when there is no mention of time, is there a method of calculating jerk, or acceleration with speed and 'length instead of time'?

And I guess this way of multiplying it works in higher dimensions too? Like if the jerk is accelerating. Is the a n' definition of this?

Last edited:
Jarle said:
Thanks!

Hmmm, when there is no mention of time, is there a method of calculating jerk, or acceleration with speed and 'length instead of time'?

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you mean is it possible to derive an analog of the kinematic equations for constant acceleration, and get a set of equations for constant jerk then, yes, this should be possible.
And I guess this way of multiplying it works in higher dimensions too? Like if the jerk is accelerating. Is the a n' definition of this?

Do you mean taking the rate of change of jerk? If so, yes, this is done in a similar manner.

I meant for example, if you are to measure the jerk the Earth's gravity. 0 km over the sea level, the acceleration is 9.8m\s^2. 1000 km up in the air the acceleration is (i don't know but let's assume) 3m\s^2. So with no mention of the time an object uses from this point up in the air, to the ground, could we measure the jerk?

Jarle said:
I meant for example, if you are to measure the jerk the Earth's gravity. 0 km over the sea level, the acceleration is 9.8m\s^2. 1000 km up in the air the acceleration is (i don't know but let's assume) 3m\s^2. So with no mention of the time an object uses from this point up in the air, to the ground, could we measure the jerk?

If I understand the question correctly, then no, the change in time must be known.

Uhm, are you sure? Since if in the very unit of Xm\s^3 both second and meter is mentioned. And if you knew the number in front (x) you should be able to use it as an equation to find out the s (second)... Right?

Time after velocity:

You travel 50 meter at a speed of 5m\s
5=m\s 5=50\s 5=50\s |*s 5s=50 5s=50 |/5 s=10
You use 10 seconds after 50 meter if you travel at 5 m\s Correct

Time after acceleration:
You travel 50 meter at an acceleration of 5m\s^2
5=m\s^2 5=50\s^2 5=50\s^2 |*s^2 5s^2=50 5s^2=50 |/5 s^2=10 s^2=10 |quadr s=3.16
You use 3.16 seconds to travel 50 meter if you accelerate at 5m\s^2 Correct

Time after Jerk(or Jolt as I saw on wikipedia after searching on jerk)
You travel 50 meter at a Jerk\Jolt of 5m\s^3

5=m\s^3 5=50\s^3 5=50\s^3 |*s^3 5s^3=50 5s^3=50 |/5 s^3=10 s^3=10 |cubicroot(revers ^3) s=2.15-2.16 (around that)
You use 2.15-2.16 seconds to travel 50 meter at a Jerk\Jolt of 5m\s^3

Wouldn't that be correct?

Last edited:
Jarle said:
Uhm, are you sure? Since if in the very unit of Xm\s^3 both second and meter is mentioned. And if you knew the number in front (x) you should be able to use it as an equation to find out the s (second)... Right?

I really don't understand what you're getting at here! IF you knew the average jerk, then sure, you could calculate the time between two points of different acceleration. Consider the case of (constant) acceleration; if you know the acceleration, then you can calculate the time it takes for the velocity to change from v_0 to v_1.

Therefore, if you have know the jerk, then you can calculate the time taken for an object's acceleration to increase from a_0 to a_1. However, I'm not sure whether this is your question.

Jarle said:
I assume by measuring the "jerk of Earth's gravity" you mean measuring the jerk of something that is falling due to gravity? I have no idea why you'd want to do that, but whatever. If you wanted to measure the rate of change of acceleration, then you would certainly need the time. But you can easily calculate how the acceleration due to gravity depends on distance from the earth--making some simplifying assumptions, of course. (Note that since the acceleration due to gravity just depends on position, the time rate of change of that acceleration will depend on how fast you are falling.)

I don't want to measure it, I have little interest in knowing it, I'm just trying to find out how gravity works. What makes it true that it is only jerk that works in gravity? Maybe the the jerk is rising too?

Well, the assumptions is that the Earth is a perfect sphere, and that it is just as dense all over. And excluding air resistance. And excluding other matter that effect the falling object.

Jarle said:
I don't want to measure it, I have little interest in knowing it, I'm just trying to find out how gravity works.
I assure you, the concept of "jerk" will not help you understand gravity.

What makes it true that it is only jerk that works in gravity? Maybe the the jerk is rising too?
What is the point of your questions?

Well, the assumptions is that the Earth is a perfect sphere, and that it is just as dense all over. And excluding air resistance. And excluding other matter that effect the falling object.
Given those assumptions, the gravitational field above the Earth's surface is proportional to the inverse square of the distance from the Earth's center.

Rather than waste time with "jerk", you'd be better off learning a bit about inverse square laws. Try this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/isq.html#isqg". (You'll find plenty of other information about gravity on that site as well.)

(Since this thread is about physics, not math, I will move it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
First of, it was not originally about physics, but anyway...

What is the point of your questions?
It doesn't seem that you are even trying to understand what I mean. I just wanted to know if Jerk or Jounce (m/s^4) had anything to do with gravity. And in a way, it does, if you take away some factors that's insignificant on small scales... An object's acceleration does accelerate as it get's closer to the earth. But since my questions 'doesn't matter' or has no point, I will stop asking them...

I do understand gravity or at least the basics of it, I just wanted to know if there are a simplicified way of doing it more easy...

I will read your link, thanks.

Edit: It was very informative :) I searched wikipedia for radius and weight of the earth, and got around 9.8 N\kg
I have a question thought. What equation must you use if the gravitational object is not squared?

Last edited:
Jarle said:
I just wanted to know if Jerk or Jounce (m/s^4) had anything to do with gravity. And in a way, it does, if you take away some factors that's insignificant on small scales... An object's acceleration does accelerate as it get's closer to the earth.]
Realize that "jerk" is the time rate of change of acceleration. Much better would be to simply say that the acceleration due to gravity gets weaker as distance from the Earth increases. (Refer to that inverse square law equation.) No need to mention time or "jerk".
I do understand gravity or at least the basics of it, I just wanted to know if there are a simplicified way of doing it more easy...
I think you are complicating things, not making them simpler.
Edit: It was very informative :) I searched wikipedia for radius and weight of the earth, and got around 9.8 N\kg
Yes, that's the gravitational field strength at the Earth's surface; note that it's also the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface: g = 9.8 m/s^2.
I have a question thought. What equation must you use if the gravitational object is not squared?
I don't understand the question. The "square" is a property of the law of gravity, not the object. (Of course, it's the simple geometry of the sphere that allows us to write a simple formula.)

Yeah, never mind my Jerk question then...

N/kg=m/s^2 then?

I did not mean squared, sorry, I mean what if the gravitational object is not formed as a sphere? Is there any equations if the object is a cube for example? I guess that would make things very much more difficult.

Jarle said:
N/kg=m/s^2 then?

N= 1 kg*(m/s^2) from F=ma so yes N/kg=m/s^2

Jarle said:
I mean what if the gravitational object is not formed as a sphere? Is there any equations if the object is a cube for example? I guess that would make things very much more difficult.
Just as you suspect, if the Earth were a cube instead of a sphere the gravitation field near the surface would be much more complicated to describe--no simple formula. But, as you get further from the "cube-shaped" Earth you will find that the gravitational field begins to take on the familiar "inverse square" form. If you are far enough away from a given mass, it doesn't matter what shape it has--its gravitational field at that distance will look just like it was a point mass.

Yeah, if course, at a large scale it would not matter. But there has to be some factors that minimalisticly matters at large distances, and matters a lot at short distances. Are there any equation?

What is rising acceleration?

Rising acceleration refers to an increase in the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. This means that the object is accelerating at a faster and faster rate, resulting in a steeper slope on a velocity-time graph.

How is rising acceleration calculated?

Rising acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the difference between acceleration and rising acceleration?

Acceleration refers to any change in an object's velocity over time, whether it is increasing, decreasing, or constant. Rising acceleration specifically refers to an increase in the rate of change of velocity, resulting in a steeper slope on a velocity-time graph.

What is the significance of rising acceleration?

Rising acceleration can indicate that an object is experiencing a greater force or is moving in a more complex path. It can also be used to analyze the motion of an object and make predictions about its future movement.

What are some common terminology used when discussing rising acceleration?

Some common terms used when discussing rising acceleration include velocity, time, slope, rate of change, and force. It is also important to understand the difference between acceleration and rising acceleration, as well as the corresponding formulas and units of measurement.