Solving Forces on a Ring & Bead: A Discriminant Analysis

In summary: No I want it upwards. Will ##-F = Mg + N\cos \theta## work?You can flip the signs of F and/or N, but the more you change them the more confusing it gets, especially if you don't start with a clear definition.In summary, the formula for the angle at which a ring will rise is found by using the discriminant, which is 16m^2 - 24m M. If M is zero, the ring will not rise.
Buffu

Homework Statement

upload_2017-6-14_22-13-53.png

upload_2017-6-14_22-13-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For ##0 \ge \theta \ge \pi/2##

Forces on the ring,

##Mg + 2N\cos \theta = F\qquad 1##

Forces on the beads ##mv^2/R = - N + mg \cos \theta##

By conservation of energy when the bead has fallen through some angle ##\theta##,

##mg (2R) = \dfrac12 mv^2 + mg(R + R\cos \theta)##

From this equation and above we get

##F = -4m\cos\theta + 6m\cos^2 \theta + M##

The discriminent is ##\Delta = 16m^2 - 24 m M \ge 0 \implies m \ge \dfrac32M##

The rise will start when the vertical force on the ring is zero,

So ##\theta = \arccos\left( \dfrac{2m + \sqrt{4m^2 - 6Mm}}{6m}\right)##

Is this correct ? why did we omit ##m = 3/2 M## ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You consider different directions for the force on the ring and the force on the beads, that is a bit confusing.

The formula for ##\theta## should have 4m in front of the square root.

What do you mean by "omit m=3/2 M"? The ring doesn't have a net upwards force for small angles and it doesn't have it for large angles either. For ##m>\frac 3 2 M## there is a region in between where the ring starts to rise, for ##m \leq \frac 3 2 M## it does not rise.

mfb said:
You consider different directions for the force on the ring and the force on the beads, that is a bit confusing.

The formula for ##\theta## should have 4m in front of the square root.

What do you mean by "omit m=3/2 M"? The ring doesn't have a net upwards force for small angles and it doesn't have it for large angles either. For ##m>\frac 3 2 M## there is a region in between where the ring starts to rise, for ##m \leq \frac 3 2 M## it does not rise.

Why should I have 4m ? I canceled out 2 from top and bottom to get 2m from 4m.

By the use of discriminent we got ##m \ge 3/2M##, which means ##m = 3/2M## is also the case but in the question it was given to prove that ring will only rise if ##m > 3/2 M##. So I was asking why not considering ##m = 3/2M## ?

Can you give some justification for

The ring doesn't have a net upwards force for small angles and it doesn't have it for large angles either. For ##m>\frac 3 2 M## there is a region in between where the ring starts to rise, for ##m \leq \frac 3 2 M## it does not rise.

Buffu said:
Why should I have 4m ? I canceled out 2 from top and bottom to get 2m from 4m.
Ah sorry, got a factor 2 wrong.

For m=3/2 M, the force on the ring gets zero at one point, but the ring doesn't rise because the force never points upwards in this idealized setup (in reality the thread would act as a spring, and the ring would go upwards slightly).
The condition for a rising ring is F<0.
Buffu said:
Can you give some justification for
That's what your formula for F shows. You can plot it.

mfb said:
F<0.

Should not it be ##F > 0## ? because else the ring will go down.

Also if I put ##M = 0##, I get ##\theta \approx 48^\circ## which is less than ##\pi/2##. In upper semicircle the normal force is downward and weight of the ring is down, so every force is downward. Isn't it weird that massless ring will go up even though all the forces are down ?

The way you defined your forces it has to be F<0. Without the beads, F=Mg which is clearly downwards.
Buffu said:
In upper semicircle the normal force is downward
It changes from inward to outwards within the upper semicircle.

mfb said:
The way you defined your forces it has to be F<0. Without the beads, F=Mg which is clearly downwards.

No I want it upwards. Will ##-F = Mg + N\cos \theta## work?

You can flip the signs of F and/or N, but the more you change them the more confusing it gets, especially if you don't start with a clear definition.

1. What is discriminant analysis and how does it relate to solving forces on a ring and bead?

Discriminant analysis is a statistical technique used to determine the relationship between multiple variables and groupings. In the context of solving forces on a ring and bead, discriminant analysis can be used to analyze the forces acting on the ring and bead system and determine the most likely cause of the observed movements.

2. What information is needed to perform a discriminant analysis on forces acting on a ring and bead system?

In order to perform a discriminant analysis on forces acting on a ring and bead system, you will need to know the mass of the ring and bead, the position and orientation of the ring and bead, and the applied forces acting on the system. It may also be helpful to have information about the environment in which the system is operating.

3. How accurate is discriminant analysis in determining the forces on a ring and bead system?

The accuracy of a discriminant analysis in determining the forces on a ring and bead system will depend on the quality of the input data and the assumptions made in the analysis. When using accurate and precise data, discriminant analysis can provide a reliable estimation of the forces acting on the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using discriminant analysis in solving forces on a ring and bead system?

As with any statistical technique, there are limitations to using discriminant analysis in solving forces on a ring and bead system. One limitation is that it assumes a linear relationship between the variables and may not accurately model nonlinear forces. It also relies on accurate and complete data, so any errors or missing information can affect the results.

5. How can the results of discriminant analysis be used in practical applications for solving forces on a ring and bead system?

The results of discriminant analysis can be used to gain a better understanding of the forces acting on a ring and bead system and identify any potential issues or areas for improvement. This information can then be used to make adjustments or modifications to the system, such as changing the position or orientation of the ring and bead, in order to optimize its performance.