RIT Physics or SUNY Brockport for Financially Savvy College Dropouts?

• Thread starter MadMike1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between attending RIT for a physics degree, which they love but will take longer and incur more debt, or attending a less reputable college, SUNY College at Brockport, for a cheaper education. The speaker also mentions the value of money and their hesitation to pursue a bachelor's in physics from a lesser known school. The other person in the conversation shares their experience at RIT and praises its academic rigor and success in job placement and graduate school admissions. They also mention the lack of social life at RIT, but highlight the benefit of being able to focus on their studies. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of making the best decision for one's education and future career prospects.
MadMike1986
HI,

I admittedly have trouble making important decisions and would like some experienced input that I could mull over.

I dropped out of a mechanical engineering program in my senior year of college and entered the workforce. I got layed off about a month ago and applied to RIT to finish my mechanical engineering degree which will only take me 1 year to complete. I found out yesterday that RIT accepted me, however the ME program is filled, so they awarded me my second choice: Physics. Now I Love physics, more than I like Mechanical Engineering, but it will likely take me 2 full years to complete the degree requirements, and thereby run up a ton of money in loans. As i am a college dropout and have been working for the past year I know the value of money and how crappy student loans are.

So as an alternative I could attend the close by SUNY College at Brockport, which is mainly a liberal arts college, and not a very reputable one at that. However I could pay the tuition quite easily without the need for any loans. What are your thoughts, Is going to a school like brockport for physics a good idea just to save money? Is RIT worth $28,000 a year?
I don't plan on going to graduate school for Physics. Possibly for Optics though. It seems like a bachelors in physics from a school like brockport wouldn't fetch too many jobs is my only concern... That and I really like the atmosphere at RIT.

Physics news on Phys.org
RIT as a school is a very amazing place for learning if that is your goal. I regret my decision to transfer out of my engineering track to pursue a liberal arts education at GWU in international affairs. I can only give a comparison between the two universities and I have to say academics and professors at RIT are very helping, I actually had a better gpa as a engineering student their then as a international relations student here in dc and the courses were harder but the teaching quality was great. So spending 50k a year now, I can say that I believe RIT at 28k was a steal and I can only assume the education got better. Also my friends who graduated from the school ended up with six figure salary jobs in nyc whereas I know people from columbia and cornell engineering who are not doing as well. I do not know why that is but it goes to show that RIT is very serious on becoming a great institution by creating very competitive individuals for the work force. Also I am going to guess that these same kids have a better chance at getting admitted to top graduate schools.

What was interesting is that when I was at RIT I always felt my peers were very intelligent people but very socially awkward. After some of my friends graduated they turned into people with good social skills, some actually have moved down to DC and are doing very well. I was and am so impressed because their is a lack of social life at RIT but because of that one learns his/her subject of interest rather well and has the time to figure themselves out.

excellent response. That's the way I feel about RIT too. And yes learning is my main priority.

1. What is the main difference between the physics programs at RIT and SUNY Brockport?

The main difference between the physics programs at RIT and SUNY Brockport is the focus on research and technology at RIT. RIT's physics program is known for its strong emphasis on hands-on experience and research opportunities, while SUNY Brockport's program is more focused on theoretical concepts and classroom learning.

2. Which school has a better reputation for physics?

RIT has a stronger reputation for its physics program compared to SUNY Brockport. RIT is known for its innovative and cutting-edge research in fields like astrophysics, quantum physics, and materials science.

3. Are there any notable differences in the curriculum between the two schools?

Yes, there are notable differences in the curriculum between RIT and SUNY Brockport. RIT's program offers a more diverse range of courses, including specialized electives in areas like biophysics and nanotechnology. Additionally, RIT's program includes a required senior capstone project, while SUNY Brockport's program does not.

4. What are the career opportunities like for physics graduates from RIT and SUNY Brockport?

Both RIT and SUNY Brockport have strong career opportunities for physics graduates. However, RIT's program may provide more opportunities in the technology and research fields, while SUNY Brockport's program may be better suited for those interested in teaching or pursuing graduate studies.

5. Is one program more rigorous or challenging than the other?

Both RIT and SUNY Brockport have rigorous and challenging physics programs. However, RIT's program may be considered more challenging due to its focus on research and advanced technology. SUNY Brockport's program, on the other hand, may be more manageable for students who prefer a more traditional classroom learning environment.