River Relative Velocity

• Thread starter Toranc3
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Two students are canoeing on a river. While heading upstream, they accidentally drop an empty bottle overboard. They then continue paddling for 1 h, reaching a point 2 Km farther upstream. At this point they realize that the bottle is missing and, driven by ecological awareness, they turn around and head downstream. They catch up with and retrieve the bottle (which has been moving along with the current) 5 Km downstream from the turn-around point.

I am wondering if the setup in my picture is correct. I have my work on there.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vc/w = velocity of the canoe relative to the water.
Vc/e= velocity of the canoe relative to the earth.
Vw/e= velocity of the water relative to the earth.

Vc/e=Vc/w + Vw/e

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

There is an easy way to get t2 without any calculation. This allows to get the river velocity quickly, and afterwards the problem is easy to solve.

I disagree with your equations V1=Vc/w and V2=Vc/w. The 2 and 5km refer to earth.

There is an easy way to get t2 without any calculation. This allows to get the river velocity quickly, and afterwards the problem is easy to solve.

I disagree with your equations V1=Vc/w and V2=Vc/w. The 2 and 5km refer to earth.
Yeah I messed up. How would you go about getting the time without calculations? By the way I got it.

Last edited:
Consider the problem in the frame of the bottle.