What is the Correct Setup for River Relative Velocity Homework?

In summary, two students are canoeing on a river and accidentally drop an empty bottle overboard while heading upstream. After paddling for 1 hour and reaching a point 2 km farther upstream, they realize the bottle is missing and turn around to retrieve it downstream. They successfully catch up with and retrieve the bottle 5 km downstream from the turn-around point. The key to solving this problem is considering the frame of the bottle to determine the time it takes to travel downstream and ultimately calculate the river's velocity.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

Two students are canoeing on a river. While heading upstream, they accidentally drop an empty bottle overboard. They then continue paddling for 1 h, reaching a point 2 Km farther upstream. At this point they realize that the bottle is missing and, driven by ecological awareness, they turn around and head downstream. They catch up with and retrieve the bottle (which has been moving along with the current) 5 Km downstream from the turn-around point.

I am wondering if the setup in my picture is correct. I have my work on there.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vc/w = velocity of the canoe relative to the water.
Vc/e= velocity of the canoe relative to the earth.
Vw/e= velocity of the water relative to the earth.

Vc/e=Vc/w + Vw/e

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is an easy way to get t2 without any calculation. This allows to get the river velocity quickly, and afterwards the problem is easy to solve.

I disagree with your equations V1=Vc/w and V2=Vc/w. The 2 and 5km refer to earth.

mfb said:
There is an easy way to get t2 without any calculation. This allows to get the river velocity quickly, and afterwards the problem is easy to solve.

I disagree with your equations V1=Vc/w and V2=Vc/w. The 2 and 5km refer to earth.

Yeah I messed up. How would you go about getting the time without calculations? By the way I got it.

Last edited:
Consider the problem in the frame of the bottle.

In this problem, the students are canoeing on a river, which means that they are moving relative to the water. Therefore, the velocity of the canoe relative to the earth (Vc/e) is equal to the velocity of the canoe relative to the water (Vc/w) plus the velocity of the water relative to the earth (Vw/e). This setup is correct and can be used to solve the problem.

To solve for the velocities, we can use the given information that the students paddled for 1 hour and traveled 2 km upstream, and then traveled an additional 5 km downstream to retrieve the bottle. We can also assume that the speed of the current is constant.

Using the formula V = d/t, we can calculate the velocity of the canoe relative to the water as 2 km/h upstream and 5 km/h downstream. This means that the velocity of the canoe relative to the earth is 2 km/h slower than the velocity of the water relative to the earth (since the students are paddling against the current and with the current, respectively).

Therefore, the setup in your picture is correct and can be used to solve the problem. Just remember to use the appropriate signs (+/-) for the velocities based on the direction of travel.

1. What is river relative velocity and how is it different from regular velocity?

River relative velocity is the measurement of the speed and direction of an object moving in a river, relative to the river's current. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the object and the speed and direction of the river's current, whereas regular velocity only measures the speed and direction of the object.

2. How do you calculate river relative velocity?

To calculate river relative velocity, you need to know the speed and direction of the object and the speed and direction of the river's current. You can then use vector addition to find the resultant velocity, which is the river relative velocity.

3. Why is river relative velocity important in river navigation?

River relative velocity is important in river navigation because it helps determine the speed and direction needed for a boat or ship to travel in a certain direction while accounting for the river's current. This is crucial for avoiding collisions and navigating through narrow passages.

4. How does river relative velocity affect the time it takes to travel down a river?

River relative velocity can either increase or decrease the time it takes to travel down a river, depending on the direction and speed of the river's current. If the river's current is in the same direction as the object's movement, it can decrease the time, while a current in the opposite direction can increase the time.

5. Can river relative velocity be negative?

Yes, river relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the river's current is stronger than the movement of the object, resulting in a velocity in the opposite direction. Negative river relative velocity can also occur if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the river's current.