River Width Estimation Problem

In summary, Jean is trying to determine the width of a river by using a large rock as a reference point. She measures her stride to be one yard and the distance back to her camp is 120 strides. She also mentions using an angle of 30 degrees to measure the distance. The equation for this problem can be solved using trigonometry.
Meliora
1. Jean camps beside a wide river and wonders how wide it is. She spots a large rock on the bank directly across from her. She then walks upstream until she judges that the angle between her and the rock, which she can still see clearly, is now at an angle of 30 downstream (as shown in the figure). Jean measures her stride to be about one yard long. The distance back to her camp is 120 strides.

About how far across, in yards, is the river?

About how far across, in meters, is the river?

(there is also a diagram drawn up for this but I am unsure on how to include that in this post)

2. I am honestly unsure of any sort of equation in this case. I am taking intro to physics and my book still hasn't come in the mail yet. My instructor is very hard to understand, but possibly something utilizing the Pythagorean theorem?

3. I am not really sure where to even begin once I have established that one side is 120 yards in length. I feel like a complete idiot here, but this homework is due tonight at 10pm, and this is the last problem I need to complete the assignment.

Any help and pointers in the right directions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Meliora! Welcome to Physics Forums!try to attempt using trigonometry. go on and try to do something and show us your work. if you are stuck, we are here to help.

Thanks supratim1, I appreciate it.

Upon further investigation I realized how simple the solution to this problem is, hah. I guess I owe it to a brain fart.

Thanks for the reply.

its fine, welcome...

I can suggest a solution to the River Width Estimation Problem using basic geometry and trigonometry principles. First, let's break down the problem into smaller parts and gather all the information given.

1. Jean measures her stride to be one yard long, and the distance back to her camp is 120 strides. This means the distance from the camp to the rock is 120 yards.
2. Jean walks upstream until the angle between her and the rock is 30 degrees. This forms a right triangle with the river's width as the hypotenuse, the distance from the camp to the rock as one side, and the distance Jean walked upstream as the other side.
3. We can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse (river's width). The formula is c^2 = a^2 + b^2, where c is the hypotenuse and a and b are the other two sides. In this case, c is the unknown width, a is the distance from the camp to the rock (120 yards), and b is the distance Jean walked upstream.
4. To find the distance Jean walked upstream, we can use trigonometry. The formula is sinθ = opposite/hypotenuse, where θ is the angle (30 degrees) and the opposite side is the distance Jean walked upstream. Rearranging the formula, we get opposite = sinθ x hypotenuse. In this case, opposite = sin30 x 120 = 60 yards.
5. Now, we have all the information we need to solve for the width of the river. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we get c^2 = 120^2 + 60^2 = 14400 + 3600 = 18000. Taking the square root of both sides, we get c = √18000 = 134.16 yards.
6. To convert to meters, we can use the conversion factor 1 yard = 0.9144 meters. Therefore, the width of the river is approximately 134.16 x 0.9144 = 122.68 meters.

In conclusion, the river's width is approximately 134.16 yards or 122.68 meters. I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem and find the solution. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask your instructor or a tutor for help. It's important to understand the

1. What is the River Width Estimation Problem?

The River Width Estimation Problem is a common issue in hydrology and civil engineering, where the width of a river needs to be estimated accurately for various purposes such as flood management, water resource planning, and bridge construction.

2. How is river width estimated?

River width is estimated by measuring the distance between two points on the river bank, typically from the water's edge on one side to the water's edge on the other side. This measurement is usually taken at multiple points along the river and then averaged to get a more accurate estimation.

3. What factors affect river width estimation?

There are several factors that can affect river width estimation, including changes in water flow, presence of vegetation, and topography of the river bed. These factors can lead to variations in the width of the river, making it challenging to obtain a precise estimation.

4. Why is accurate river width estimation important?

Accurate river width estimation is crucial for a variety of reasons. It helps in planning and designing infrastructure such as bridges and dams, predicting flood risks, and managing water resources. Inaccurate estimations can lead to costly errors and potential damage to the surrounding environment.

5. Are there any methods or tools available for river width estimation?

Yes, there are various methods and tools available for river width estimation, such as remote sensing techniques, surveying equipment, and hydraulic modeling software. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific needs and constraints of the project.