Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rivers and lakes on Venus

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    I realize that there are no lakes or rivers on Venus, but, given the surface temperature, pressure, etc. what substance COULD flow and pool on Venus the way water and liquid ethane flow and pool on the surfaces of Earth and Titan respectively?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2
    I don't know. Rivers of lead, maybe? :p It would be too dense to flow like a river, I guess. Unless the river is really steep

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is certainly possible Venus may once have had liquid water on its surface before 'global warming' took over. Just about anything that melts, but, does not boil in the current Venusian environment could be present.

5. Mar 21, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the liquid state, lead flows quite readily. The rate of flow of a fluid is not connected so much to the density as to the viscosity of the fluid. For example, residual fuel oils have approximately the same density as water, but these oils must be heated in order to reduce their viscosity sufficiently to allow them to be pumped without expending a tremendous amount of power to do so.

6. Mar 21, 2014 #5
    Another problem is that molten lead, like quicksilver or bismuth, are dense - denser than rocks. They would squeeze into cracks in ground.

How about brimstone? Its boiling point at 1 bar is 444 degrees, but surface of Venus has 92 bar pressure, and the boiling point of brimstone rises to 1041 degrees at the critical point of 203 bar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook