Rivers & whirlpools of spacetime

Main Question or Discussion Point

Do rivers (conduits) or whirlpools (sinks and sources) of spacetime exist, which deform as linear, spiral or chaotic flow, eventually accelerate superluminally relative to nearby spacetime?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Spacetime" is a coordinate system.

- Warren

...whose topology can deform in time and space like the above-mentioned "river" or "whirlpool." I asked whether sheared or chiral spacetime may develop singularities spontaneously from their displaced geometry.

LURCH
Science Advisor
Originally posted by Loren Booda
Do rivers (conduits) or whirlpools (sinks and sources) of spacetime exist, which deform as linear, spiral or chaotic flow, eventually accelerate superluminally relative to nearby spacetime?
Regarding "whirlpools" I would say, yes. I think that is exactly what frame-dragging is.

"Rivers" are a little more difficult to imagine a cause for, but I suppose that they might exist. As for accelerating superluminally, I highly doubt it.

drag
Science Advisor
Originally posted by Loren Booda
Well, they say there's no actual limmit on the
"velocity" of space-time itself, so why not ?

Live long and prosper.