1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL and RC Circuit Impedance

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can a series RC circuit and a parallel RL circuit have the same impedance if the R is the same in both? What would the values of R, L and C have to be if they can? Why/why not, physically speaking?

2. Relevant equations
    Zr=R
    Zc=1/iwC
    ZL=iwL

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know in series the total impedance is the square root of each of the involved impedances squared, and if it's in parallel then it is the product of the two impedances divided by the square root of each of the involved impedances squared. So I have the two equations for impedance, but three unknowns and I'm not sure where to go next. Also, I have no intuition as to physically why or why not this statement would be true.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Z of series R-C is R - j/wC.
    Y of parallel R-L is G - j/wL and Z =1/Y.

Equate the real and the imaginary components of the two Z's and see if there is a solution for L vs. C for any frequency w.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted