RL Bandpass Filter: Impedance & Voltage Signal

In summary, the filter does not need to have the same impedance as the source, but the source impedance certainly comes into play. The transfer function will vary depending on the frequency of the excitation, and a 1MHz bandwidth is impressive.
Idea04
Does an RL low pass and high pass filter need to have the same impedance in the circuit as to the source impedance to work properly. I put an inductor in series with the source with a resistor to ground as the low pass, and a resistor in series with the source with an inductor to ground as a high pass. and there is no filtering of the voltage signal.

Likes Romi
Engineering news on Phys.org
Idea04 said:
Does an RL low pass and high pass filter need to have the same impedance in the circuit as to the source impedance to work properly. I put an inductor in series with the source with a resistor to ground as the low pass, and a resistor in series with the source with an inductor to ground as a high pass. and there is no filtering of the voltage signal.

It doesn't need to, but the source impedance certainly comes into play. What transfer functions do you calculate for the HPF and LPF configuratoins? How are you measuring the filter characteristic?

I calculated a transfer function of .002. I measured the signal by having two different multi meters, one for ground and one for output. The voltage gradually increased, but I didn't get any current amplification.

Idea04 said:
I calculated a transfer function of .002. I measured the signal by having two different multi meters, one for ground and one for output. The voltage gradually increased, but I didn't get any current amplification.

A transfer function is a function of frequency, not a number. You will get a polynominal function that varies with the frequency of the excitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_function

You don't measure the transfer function with multimeters. You can measure it with a signal generator and a dual-channel oscilloscope, though.

I'm a bit confused here. To measure the output voltage, frequency and current I have to use an oscilloscope. Why won't a multimeter measure the signals voltage, frequency, and current properly.

Idea04 said:
I'm a bit confused here. To measure the output voltage, frequency and current I have to use an oscilloscope. Why won't a multimeter measure the signals voltage, frequency, and current properly.

Multimeters are usually used to measure DC values and AC values up through AC Mains power distribution frequencies (50/60Hz). You may find some that can go a bit higher in frequency on the Vac setting, but not very far. Check the specifications for your multimeter -- what is the max frequency that it says the Vac setting can handle?

What frequency range do you want to test the filter transfer function over?

The frequency I am trying to filter is 60Hz, My meter can read to 1 MHz. The meter measures the signal voltage and it gradually rises, but with the components I used I should have a higher current through the output. The calculations show an output current of 1.7 amps but I don't get any output current. So the filter must not be working properly.

Idea04 said:
The frequency I am trying to filter is 60Hz, My meter can read to 1 MHz. The meter measures the signal voltage and it gradually rises, but with the components I used I should have a higher current through the output. The calculations show an output current of 1.7 amps but I don't get any output current. So the filter must not be working properly.

A 1MHz bandwidth -- that's an impressive multimeter!

BTW, you aren't making measurements connected directly to the AC Mains line, are you? What is your voltage source? Those are larger currents than you get with most signal generators.

Can you post a sketch of your circuit and how you are making the measurements? If you can make a PDF or JPG file, you can add it as an attachment.

1. What is an RL Bandpass Filter?

An RL Bandpass Filter is an electronic circuit that allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating all other frequencies. It is made up of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) in series, with the output taken across the inductor.

2. How does an RL Bandpass Filter work?

An RL Bandpass Filter works by taking advantage of the impedance properties of resistors and inductors. At low frequencies, the inductor has low impedance, allowing most of the signal to pass through. At high frequencies, the inductor has high impedance, effectively blocking the signal. The resistor acts as a buffer, allowing only the desired frequency range to pass through.

3. What is the impedance of an RL Bandpass Filter?

The impedance of an RL Bandpass Filter varies depending on the frequency of the input signal. At the center frequency, the impedance is at its minimum, while at the cutoff frequencies, the impedance is at its maximum. The impedance can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (ωL - 1/ωC)²), where R is the resistance, L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, and ω is the angular frequency.

4. How does an RL Bandpass Filter affect voltage signals?

An RL Bandpass Filter affects voltage signals by allowing only a certain range of frequencies to pass through and attenuating all other frequencies. This results in a filtered output signal with a specific bandwidth and center frequency. The amplitude of the output signal may also be affected, depending on the input signal's frequency and the filter's characteristics.

5. What are the applications of an RL Bandpass Filter?

An RL Bandpass Filter has various applications in electronics, including audio processing, telecommunication systems, and signal analysis. It is commonly used to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal or to extract a specific frequency range from a complex signal. It is also used in tuning circuits and frequency-selective amplifiers.