RL Circuit: di/dt Question 1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the rate of change of current in an LR circuit when the total current is 0.50 A. It is determined that the equations provided do not apply to this particular circuit. Instead, the conversation discusses using Kirchoff's voltage and current laws, as well as Ohm's law, to find the voltage across the inductor, which can then be used to determine the rate of change of current. Additionally, the conversation addresses an issue with converting equations to math form using html and suggests using either html or LaTeX, but not both, for equations.
dwn
Question 1

Homework Statement

For a circuit show on Fig B1, what is the rate of change of the current in the inductor when the total current in the circuit is 0.50 A? (L = 10 mH, R(1) = 10 ohm, R(2) = 20 ohm, V = 12 V). In the figure the resistors of the circuit are in series.
Ans: 200

Homework Equations

[itex](di/dt = V/L(e(-Rt/L)))[/itex]
[itex](i = V/R(1-e(-Rt/L)))[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the time at which the current was at .50 A and the using that time to plug in the differential equation to find the rate of change in the current.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well,then...how can we help?

Shyan said:
Well,then...how can we help?

When I plug in the time of .00046 seconds into the differential equation, my answer is incorrect. Am I the right path and my calculations are just incorrect? There really are not a lot of options to find di/dt when dealing with LR circuits, so I can't be that far off.

[itex]30(.5)/12[/itex]=[itex](1-e(-30t/.010))[/itex]

t = .00046 seconds

[itex]di/dt[/itex]-=(12/.010)e(-30*.00046)/0.01)

[itex]di/dt=302[/itex]

sidenote: why isn't [itex] converting to math form? is the format not permitted?

dwn said:
When I plug in the time of .00046 seconds into the differential equation, my answer is incorrect. Am I the right path and my calculations are just incorrect? There really are not a lot of options to find di/dt when dealing with LR circuits, so I can't be that far off.

[itex]30(.5)/12[/itex]=[itex](1-e(-30t/.010))[/itex]

t = .00046 seconds
Your solution can't possibly be correct because solving for t would require taking the log of a negative number.

You've implied this is a circuit where all the elements are connected in series. Is that right? Because if it is, given the numbers you've provided, the maximum current is V/R = 0.4 A.

[itex]di/dt[/itex]-=(12/.010)e(-30*.00046)/0.01)

[itex]di/dt=302[/itex]

sidenote: why isn't [itex] converting to math form? is the format not permitted?

Thank you for replying vela.

I didn't understand what to do, so I just kinda of made it "work" (i.e. produce an answer). There are only a couple equations to solve LR circuits which 1. makes me feel stupid for not being able to figure it out and 2. unable to find error in solving the question using the equations.

I attached an imagine from the homework set, so it might be more helpful. The problem is P10.

Can you please offer some advice on how I should solve this. Thanks.

Attachments

• hw.png
    hw.png
    19 KB · Views: 554
The equations you listed apply to an RL circuit where everything is in series. That's not what you have here, so you can't use them.

What you need to do is find the voltage across the inductor because that will allow you to find di/dt. A lot of times you can analyze a circuit simply by applying Kirchoff's voltage and current laws and Ohm's law over and over again.

You're given that the total current, by which they mean the current through the battery, is 0.50 A, so according to Kirchoff's current law, what's the current through R2? Once you have the current, use Ohm's law to determine the voltage drop across the resistor. Then use Kirchoff's voltage law to determine the voltage across the inductor.

dwn said:

It's because you included superscripts and subscripts using the [noparse] and [/noparse] tags. These tags are for creating superscripts and subscripts using plain text (i.e. html) only. LaTeX is different, and uses ^ and _ for superscripts and subscripts respectively. Do not mix html equations with LaTeX markup. Choose one or the other, depending on how fancy your equation needs to be.

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). These two components are connected in series, and the circuit is powered by a voltage source. The inductor is a passive component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat.

2. What is di/dt in an RL circuit?

di/dt, also known as the time rate of change of current, is a measurement of how quickly the current is changing in an RL circuit. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the current with respect to time (di/dt = dI/dt). It is an important parameter in RL circuits because it affects the behavior of the circuit during transient states.

3. How does di/dt affect an RL circuit?

Di/dt affects an RL circuit by causing a transient state when the circuit is switched on or off. During this transient state, the inductor resists the change in current, and the di/dt value determines how quickly the current will reach its steady state value. A higher di/dt value means a faster change in current and a larger voltage drop across the inductor.

4. What is the formula for calculating di/dt in an RL circuit?

The formula for calculating di/dt in an RL circuit is di/dt = -V/R, where V is the voltage across the inductor and R is the resistance in the circuit. This formula applies during the transient state when the circuit is switched on or off. During steady state, di/dt is equal to zero.

5. How can di/dt be reduced in an RL circuit?

Di/dt can be reduced in an RL circuit by increasing the resistance (R) in the circuit. This reduces the rate of change of current, thus reducing the di/dt value. Another way to reduce di/dt is by adding a capacitor in parallel with the inductor. The capacitor will absorb some of the current and reduce the overall change in current, resulting in a lower di/dt value.