1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL circuit equation

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    Suppose a circuit with resistor R and inductor L with no source. I am trying to find kirchoffs equation for this circuit - I am getting iR -Ldi/dt = 0 as my equation which is apparently wrong. I just cannot understand how do I make equations for such circuits.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Should that be iR + Ldi/dt = 0

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Yes it should be but I dont get it why. Voltage across resistor is iR and then voltage across inductor decreases by Ldi/dt so iR-Ldi/dt=0

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Draw your circuit and indicate an (arbitrary) direction, in which you want to count the current positive. Then use the right-hand rule to attach the surface-normal vector oriented positive relative to that direction of the current. Finally use Faraday's Law,
    [tex]\partial_t \vec{B}=-\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E},[/tex]
    and integrate (line integral) along the circuit in direction of the positve current. Then the left-hand side translates into [itex]L \frac{\mathrm{d} i}{\mathrm{d}t}[/itex] for compact circuits, and the right-hand side you can transform into an integral along the surface, translating into [itex]-R i[/itex], where we have made use of Ohm's Law, [itex]\vec{E}=\vec{j}/\sigma[/itex]. From this you get the desired equation,
    [tex]L \frac{\mathrm{d} i}{\mathrm{d} t}=-R i.[/tex]

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5
    Sorry I am unaware of some of the things you said. Can you simplify please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook