Solve RL Circuit Equation: Kirchhoff's Rule Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses finding Kirchhoff's equation for a circuit with a resistor R and inductor L but no source. The correct equation is iR + Ldi/dt = 0, which can be derived by considering the voltage across the resistor and using Faraday's Law and Ohm's Law. The equation is L(di/dt) = -Ri. The speaker also asks for simplification of some concepts.
Avichal
Suppose a circuit with resistor R and inductor L with no source. I am trying to find kirchhoffs equation for this circuit - I am getting iR -Ldi/dt = 0 as my equation which is apparently wrong. I just cannot understand how do I make equations for such circuits.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should that be iR + Ldi/dt = 0

Yes it should be but I don't get it why. Voltage across resistor is iR and then voltage across inductor decreases by Ldi/dt so iR-Ldi/dt=0

Draw your circuit and indicate an (arbitrary) direction, in which you want to count the current positive. Then use the right-hand rule to attach the surface-normal vector oriented positive relative to that direction of the current. Finally use Faraday's Law,
[tex]\partial_t \vec{B}=-\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E},[/tex]
and integrate (line integral) along the circuit in direction of the positve current. Then the left-hand side translates into [itex]L \frac{\mathrm{d} i}{\mathrm{d}t}[/itex] for compact circuits, and the right-hand side you can transform into an integral along the surface, translating into [itex]-R i[/itex], where we have made use of Ohm's Law, [itex]\vec{E}=\vec{j}/\sigma[/itex]. From this you get the desired equation,
[tex]L \frac{\mathrm{d} i}{\mathrm{d} t}=-R i.[/tex]

Sorry I am unaware of some of the things you said. Can you simplify please?

1. What is Kirchhoff's Rule and how does it apply to RL circuits?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop. In an RL circuit, this means that the sum of the voltage drops across the resistor and inductor must equal the voltage of the power source.

2. What is the equation used to solve for the current in an RL circuit?

The equation used to solve for the current in an RL circuit is known as the RL Circuit Equation, and it is given by I(t) = (V/R)(1-e^(-Rt/L)), where I(t) represents the current at time t, V is the voltage of the power source, R is the resistance of the circuit, and L is the inductance of the circuit.

3. How do we apply Kirchhoff's Rule to solve the RL Circuit Equation?

To apply Kirchhoff's Rule to solve the RL Circuit Equation, we must first write out the KVL equation for the circuit, which is V = IR + L(dI/dt). Then, we can substitute this equation into the RL Circuit Equation and solve for the current using algebraic manipulation.

4. What is the significance of the time constant in an RL circuit?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ (tau), is a measure of how quickly the current in an RL circuit reaches its maximum value. It is given by the equation τ = L/R, where L is the inductance of the circuit and R is the resistance. The time constant is important because it determines the rate at which the current changes in the circuit.

5. How does the current behave in an RL circuit over time?

In an RL circuit, the current initially increases at a slower rate and then approaches a steady-state value as time goes on. This behavior is due to the presence of the inductor, which resists changes in current. Once the current reaches its steady-state value, it remains constant unless there is a change in the power source or the circuit components.