1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: RL circuit inductance problem

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An RL circuit has a 9.0 V battery and a 5.5 ohm resistor. When the switch is closed, the current in the circuit is observed to increase from 0 to 0.30 A in 0.17 s.
    A) What is the inductance?
    B) How long after the switch is closed does the current have the value 0.47 A?

2. Relevant equations
    τ = L/R
    EMF = L*I / t
    I = EMF / R *(1-e^-tR/L)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to find a time constant, my text doesn't explain it, which makes me think that this question may not even use this equation. I can't get to part B without an answer to part A. By using the second equation I got L = 5.1, but that isn't correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    are you sure you don't know how?

4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    No, I don't. Its asking for inductance, I have resistance, I have no idea how to get the time constant.

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4
    [tex]I(t) = \frac{v}{R} e^{\frac{-tR}{L}}[/tex]
    You know the value of current = 300mA at t = .17. v = 9 and r = 5.5. This leaves 1 unknown. Solve for it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook