Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL circuit natural response

1. Jun 12, 2006 #1
    Can anyone please help me slove this example circuit i found.
    im having a hard time finding the initial current through the inductor and duno how to deal with the dependent source and inductor after the switch is opened.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What's the diamond shaped thing? Is that a current controlled voltage source or a current controlled current source?

What equations have you been able to set up so far? Is this a homework problem?

4. Jun 13, 2006 #3
    Looks like a current controlled voltage source.

To the OP -- you're going to have to show some work, like berkeman said.

5. Jun 15, 2006 #4
    thanks for feed back but i have figured it out. If anyone else needs help with this circuit i'll get u guys started. to find initial current at t=0- the inductor is a short circuit so Io is just the current through the 4.5Ohm resistor.

After the switch is closed to find iL(t) for t >=0 you will need to use the natural response equation for the current of an inductor which means u will need to find Req for tao. to find Req u need to thevenize the circuit by creating an open circuit at the inductor and finding Voc=Vth then the R in the standard form would be Vth/Itotal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?