1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL circuit problem

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [PLAIN]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4355/screenshot20110807at249.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

v(t) = Vmax * e^(-Rt/L)
    i(t) = imax * e^(-Rt/L)
    P = V^2/R
    w = integral of power w/ respect to time
    w(0) = .5Li^2(0) = energy stored in inductor

3. The attempt at a solution

Well for #3, for the estimates of I and R, all I did was put the v(t) = Vmax*e^(-Rt/L) in my calculator w/ Vmax as 60 and L as 40mH. I played around with different R values and found that if I put R =1, the graph in my calculator is identical to the one as above.

To solve for I (current source), I used V = IR => I = 60 Amps.

For #4, I just used the energy equation w(0) = .5Li^2(0)
    = .5*40e^-3 * 60^2 = 72 Joules

For #5, I integrated the power w/ respect to time to get the energy. But first I needed to solve for the power equation. P = V^2(t)/R where v(t) = -60e^(-t/40e^-3) and R = 1.

So then the energy equation was then the integral of 3600e^(-50t) dt from 0 to .02 milli seconds, which equals .716412 Joules.

The percentage = .07164/72 * 100 = .1%

I don't feel good about these answers and not sure if I did them right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to find a reasonably good value for the time constant (rather than mucking about with trial and error curve fitting) by taking a data point from the provided graph. I see that the voltage decays through the 5V level at t = 0.1ms...

With the time constant in hand, a reasonably accurate value for the resistor Rx can be found, and then the initial current... etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook