1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL Circuit

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    I am trying to analyse an RL circuit, particulartly the dependence of current in 2 resistors with time, in an RL circuit. This is what I think but I would really love some people to tell me if I am getting it wrong or if there is anything they want to add to it.

***Just after the the switched at t = 0, the voltage in R1 is the same as the voltage in R2 because they are in parallel. Therefore the current in R1 is: I = E/R1 which is the maximum current. But the current in R2 is zero because current in the inductor is zero at t = 0.

Question:
    Do I have a good reasoning for the current in the resistor R2 being zero at t = 0?

***A long time after the switched is closed: I think as time goes to infiniti, the current in R1 drops down from maximum (E/R1) to zero.
    The current in R2 starts growing exponentially as time increases. And at some point the current in R2 goes steady or reach equilibrium(not growing and not decaying).

Question: Is it true that the current in R1 decays to zero as time goes to infiniti? I am not sure the current in R1 decays though because the resistor does not consume current.

I would like some help analysing this circuit. It looks pretty interesting.

Thanks, Momodou

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted