1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL Circuit

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that the switch in the figure has been closed for a long time and opens after in t=0.
    Find Ix in a) 0- b)0+ c) 40ms
    upload_2015-9-21_19-36-19.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Switch is opened in t=0, current flows only in the 10Ω resistor, Ix=3v/10Ω= 0.3A-> 0-
    0+ --> 3v/10=0.3A
    Not sure if both currents are the same, and for the 40ms, when solving the equation (τ=L/R) τ (tau) results in a small number.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2
    Do you think it's possible for the current through an inductor to change instantaneously?

It might help to see your work for part c in order to check it.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3
    No couldt change instantaneously.
    this is what i have for part c
    τ=L/R -> (500mH)/70Ω=7.14ms

i(t)= i(∞)-(i(∞)-i(0+))e^(-t/τ)
    i(40)= ???

That where I am stuck

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi jeuceda. :welcome:

What assumptions allow you to say this?

How did you calculate this?

You mention an equation. What is your equation, exactly?

It is clearer when you include a phrase such as "at the moment before the switch is closed ...", or "once the switch has been open for a long time ...", to confirm precisely what you are talking about.

BTW, the diagram is ambiguous; it is not clear from the diagram whether at time t=0 the switch is opened after having already been closed for a long time, or whether it is being closed at t=0 having prior to this been open for a long time. The textbook's double-headed arrow would be better drawn with only one arrow head.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted