1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL/RC Circuits

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1

Air

I have this initial question that I have been having confusion for regarding RL/RC circuits. I may continue to ask more question to this thread.

• For an inductor, I read that when the switch is closed at [tex]t\le 0[/tex] then it acts as a short circuit so the current is zero and voltage is also zero across the the inductor. It also says that all source current goes to the inductive branch and none to resistor. How is this possible? If current doesn't exist in the inductor then where has it come from and why doesn't it go to the resistor?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2
    Are we talking about DC or AC? And are the inductor and resistor in parallel?

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

CEL

If the power source is Dc, the inductor really acts like a short circuit, this means that the voltage across it is zero and the current can have any value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook