Questions about RL/RC Circuits: Initial Confusion

In summary: Since there is no voltage across the resistor, no current flows through it. The current that goes to the inductive branch comes from the power source. If the power source is AC, the current does not go to the inductive branch but rather alternates between the inductor and the resistor. In summary, in RL/RC circuits, when the switch is closed, the inductor acts as a short circuit and all source current goes to it, while none goes to the resistor.
Air
I have this initial question that I have been having confusion for regarding RL/RC circuits. I may continue to ask more question to this thread.

• For an inductor, I read that when the switch is closed at [tex]t\le 0[/tex] then it acts as a short circuit so the current is zero and voltage is also zero across the the inductor. It also says that all source current goes to the inductive branch and none to resistor. How is this possible? If current doesn't exist in the inductor then where has it come from and why doesn't it go to the resistor?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are we talking about DC or AC? And are the inductor and resistor in parallel?

Air said:
I have this initial question that I have been having confusion for regarding RL/RC circuits. I may continue to ask more question to this thread.

• For an inductor, I read that when the switch is closed at [tex]t\le 0[/tex] then it acts as a short circuit so the current is zero and voltage is also zero across the the inductor. It also says that all source current goes to the inductive branch and none to resistor. How is this possible? If current doesn't exist in the inductor then where has it come from and why doesn't it go to the resistor?

Thanks in advance.

If the power source is Dc, the inductor really acts like a short circuit, this means that the voltage across it is zero and the current can have any value.

1. What is a RL/RC circuit?

A RL/RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both resistors (R) and either inductors (L) or capacitors (C). These circuits are used to control the flow of electric current and are commonly found in devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How does a RL/RC circuit work?

In a RL/RC circuit, the resistor controls the amount of current that flows through the circuit, while the inductor or capacitor controls the voltage. These components work together to create a stable and predictable flow of electricity.

3. What is the difference between a RL circuit and a RC circuit?

A RL circuit contains an inductor, which stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while a RC circuit contains a capacitor, which stores energy in the form of an electric charge. This difference affects how the circuit responds to changes in current and voltage.

4. What is the purpose of an RL/RC circuit?

RL/RC circuits are used to filter, amplify, or attenuate signals in electronic devices. They are also used to control the flow of electricity and prevent damage to sensitive components.

5. What are some real-life applications of RL/RC circuits?

RL/RC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, computers, and power supplies. They can also be found in more complex systems such as power grids and telecommunications networks.