RL vs LR Circuits: Low-Pass/High-Pass Filters Explained

In summary, there is no difference between RL and LR circuit. They are both for low-pass/high-pass filter.
terryds
Is there any difference between RL vs LR circuit? Which one is for low-pass/high-pass filter?

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
Is there any difference between RL vs LR circuit? Which one is for low-pass/high-pass filter?

Please help
They are one and the same.

cnh1995 said:
They are one and the same.

Really? But RC and CR are different, RC is a low-pass filter and CR is a high-pass filter.

so your 4 types are

RC, CR, RL, RLC

Last edited:
terryds said:
RL is high pass, LR is low pass. Brevity for its own sake is generally discouraged.

NascentOxygen said:
RL is high pass, LR is low pass. Brevity for its own sake is generally discouraged.
why can I only find references to RL and not LR ?
do you have any references please?

davenn said:
do you have any references please?
These filters work by potential divider action. We can have series R and shunt L, giving high pass action, or the converse. We can also connect the filter either way round. It is important to consider the impedance (usually resistance) of the source and the load, so that we are considering the full circuit.

NascentOxygen said:
Frankly, I would not make any assumption about the actual layout of an LR or and RL circuit, if there was no information provided about how it has been connected. Wait till you see the circuit diagram and then you have a chance.
Trying to generate special rules for the meanings of letters in particular orders is a dodgy pastime and very likely to produce as confusion as enlightenment. Leave it to lexicographers and etymologists.

Likes NTL2009, davenn and phinds
Assumptions are no substitute for unambiguous specifications. But in this case there can be only one interpretation to the difference between an RL and an LR, particularly in light of the answer options being given.

NascentOxygen said:
in light of the answer options being given.
Personally, I wouldn't want to get involved in a system that appears to force a reader into such a bad choice with such open ended assumptions. The only thing one could say about RL or LR would be that the associated time constants would be the same. (Same comment for RC and CR)

and I am still left without an answer to my question in post #7 :rolleyes::frown:

davenn said:
It shows that 'the system' actually has a certain amount of sense, perhaps. :wink:
The more familiar RC / CR is a terminology which, as I have said before, is confusing. In fact it is bad and makes assumptions about the connection and orientation of the R and C in a circuit that are not justified. How would one describe the filter function (HP /LP) if the source for the circuit was more constant current than constant voltage, for instance? And would it always be the case that the output connection would always be across the second of the pair of letters?
RL circuits do not tend to be discussed or used anything like as much and, when they are, it is probably by more informed users or designers. They have avoided the problem by just not going down that road.
You could say I'm being elitist but I must insist that using 'unofficial' conventions and terminology will always risk errors. EE is littered with similar fuzzy terminology which has been introduced in a misguided effort to make it more 'approachable'.

I can picture it being a local shorthand, perhaps introduced by a lecturer for his introductory class on passive filters, and not intended to be used beyond that. Best kept inhouse, and used only with those who've been inducted to interpreting what's meant.

Of course, it could even be debated whether substituting RC filter for RC LPF is actually shorthand at all.

I fear we've lost the OP.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is the difference between RL and LR circuits?

The main difference between RL and LR circuits is the placement of the inductor and resistor. In an RL circuit, the inductor is placed before the resistor, while in an LR circuit, the resistor comes before the inductor. This difference affects the behavior and filtering capabilities of the circuits.

What is a low-pass filter?

A low-pass filter is a type of electronic circuit that allows low-frequency signals to pass through while blocking high-frequency signals. It is commonly used in audio systems to remove unwanted noise and in power supplies to smooth out fluctuations in the output voltage.

What is a high-pass filter?

A high-pass filter is the opposite of a low-pass filter, as it allows high-frequency signals to pass through while blocking low-frequency signals. It is often used in audio systems to remove low-frequency noise and in communication systems to transmit only high-frequency signals.

How do RL and LR circuits act as low-pass and high-pass filters?

In an RL circuit, the inductor resists changes in the current, making it easier for low-frequency signals to pass through. This action effectively blocks high-frequency signals, making it a low-pass filter. On the other hand, in an LR circuit, the resistor resists changes in the voltage, making it easier for high-frequency signals to pass through. This makes it a high-pass filter.

What are some practical applications of RL and LR circuits?

RL and LR circuits have many practical applications, such as in audio systems, power supplies, and communication systems, as mentioned earlier. They are also used in electronic filters, which are used to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal. Additionally, they are used in electric motors and generators to control the flow of electricity.