1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC circuit, finding relations and forming a differential equation

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    Hello. I'm having a hard time solving this homework question, even though I know I shouldn't... but well.

Here's the problem :

jabbfa.png

-The K switch is closed for a long time, so as to be in a steady state.
    What's the electric charge of the capacitor ? Infer vs tension from this.
    Which current is crossing the inductor ?

My guess : Charge is 0 because it is totally decharged. The tension of the capacitor is equal to vs so vs=0. The current from the generator is crossing the inductor.

-At t=0 we open the switch. Find five relations between i, ic, ir, q, and vs, and form a differential equation with vs

So we have
    i=ic+iR

I am not sure about tensions... let uc=capacitor tension, ur= resitance r tension, uR = resitance R tension

is E=ur+uL=uc=uR ?

if yes then we have E=vs+Ldi/dt and I could find a differential equation with i=ic+ir and replacing ic and ir by ic=C*uc/t and iR=uR/R but it would be useless since E=uc=vs...

to make it short, I don't get how I can find these relations, please help me.. thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted