Calculating Peak Current in a Series RLC Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a series RLC circuit with a 100 ohm resistor, 0.10 H inductor, and 100 micro farad capacitor attached to a 120 V/60 Hz power line. The question asks for the peak current, I, and the attempted solution uses the equations I=V/Z, Z=sqrt(R^2+(omegaL - (omegaC)^-1)), and omega=2pif. The answer is eventually found to be I rms, which is then multiplied by sqrt(2) to get the correct answer.
Twoism

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit consists of a 100 ohm resistor, a 0.10 H inductor, and a 100 micro farad capacitor. It is attached to a 120 V/60 Hz power line. What is the peak current, I?

Homework Equations

I=V/Z
Z=sqrt(R^2+(omegaL - (omegaC)^-1))
omega=2pif

The Attempt at a Solution

I=120/sqrt(100^2+(2pi(60)*.1 - (2pi(60)*100x10^-6)^-1)^2)=1.2
The program is saying it's wrong.
I'm confused what I'm doing wrong, exactly. I'm thinking the omega is wrong, but I don't know how I would get omega otherwise.
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I eventually figured it out... apparently 120 V is the rms value, which they clearly do NOT indicate what-so-ever... so my value of I was really I rms, and they just wanted it in I. My answer times sqrt(2) gave me the correct answer.

1. What is an RLC circuit in series?

An RLC circuit in series is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This means that the components are connected one after the other in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component.

2. What is the purpose of an RLC circuit in series?

RLC circuits in series are used for a variety of purposes, such as filtering and tuning in electronic circuits. They can also be used to study the behavior of alternating current (AC) circuits and to analyze the response of a circuit to different frequencies.

3. How does an RLC circuit in series affect the flow of current?

An RLC circuit in series can affect the flow of current in a few different ways. The resistor (R) will limit the amount of current that can flow through the circuit, while the inductor (L) will resist changes in current and the capacitor (C) will resist changes in voltage. Together, these components can create a complex response to changes in voltage and current.

4. What is resonance in an RLC circuit in series?

Resonance in an RLC circuit in series occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a minimal overall impedance. This allows for a large current to flow through the circuit, which can be useful for tuning or filtering applications.

5. How can the behavior of an RLC circuit in series be represented mathematically?

The behavior of an RLC circuit in series can be described using Ohm's Law and the equations for calculating the impedance of each component. The overall impedance of the circuit can be found by adding the individual impedances together. In addition, the circuit's response to different frequencies can be represented using the transfer function, which is a ratio of output to input voltages.