Solve RLC Circuit Problem Homework

In summary, Kirchoff's law can be used to find the resistance of a simple circuit with a capacitor and a resistor. However, the image attached is not showing up for either of the poster's computers.
mathiscool1

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/3xSYb

Homework Equations

RLC equations:

q= Qmax e ^ -Rt/2L cos wd t

wd = [ 1/LC - (R/2L)^2] ^ 1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I am trying using Kirchoff law, but not sure what the question asks.
I thought it may be a trick and after a long long time C will be fully charged and L will act as a simple wire, so it will be a simple circuit with Resistors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I canot see the image attached.

Alexanddros81 said:
I canot see the image attached.

I added a imgur link. Can you open it now?

Your image isn't showing up for me either and I see no link. Your best bet is to embed the image here directly, not with a link.

I don't know.
For me, there's a link and shows the image. Don't know how it's not showing.

mathiscool1 said:
I thought it may be a trick and after a long long time C will be fully charged and L will act as a simple wire, so it will be a simple circuit with Resistors.
Yes, the phrase "after a sufficiently long time" is a typical hint used in problems to refer to the eventual steady state conditions. Suppress the reactive components as you suggest and analyze the resulting resistor network.

mathiscool1 said:
I don't know.
It is always better to load your images to our server here so that helpers do not have to follow off-site links to see your problem.

Off-site links have a tendency to get broken over time, or have their content removed, making their threads less than useful to future members seeking information.

Thank you.

Im in doubt should i remove the C and keep it as a RL circuit or both of them. Sorry my bad. I will add them properly

mathiscool1 said:
Im in doubt should i remove the C and keep it as a RL circuit or both of them.
Open (remove) the C and short the L.

mathiscool1 said:
I don't know.
1ssnmTl.jpg

1. How do I approach solving an RLC circuit problem for homework?

To solve an RLC circuit problem, start by drawing the circuit and labeling all the known values and variables. Then, use Kirchhoff's laws to set up equations for the circuit. Next, use the appropriate formulas for solving RLC circuits, such as Ohm's law and the equations for calculating capacitance and inductance. Finally, solve for the unknown variables using algebraic manipulation.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving RLC circuit problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving RLC circuit problems include forgetting to consider the direction of current flow, using the wrong formulas, and making calculation errors. It is also important to double-check units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

3. How do I know which formulas to use when solving RLC circuit problems?

The formulas used to solve RLC circuit problems depend on the specific circuit and the known values. It is important to understand the concepts behind the formulas and when to use them. For example, Ohm's law is used to calculate voltage, current, and resistance, while the equations for capacitance and inductance are used to determine the values of those components in the circuit.

4. What is the significance of resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit occurs when the frequency of the input voltage matches the natural frequency of the circuit. This results in a maximum current and minimum impedance, making the circuit more efficient. Resonance is important in applications such as tuning radio receivers and creating filters in electronic circuits.

5. How do I check my answer for an RLC circuit problem?

To check your answer for an RLC circuit problem, plug your values back into the original equations and make sure they satisfy all the given conditions. You can also use simulation software to model the circuit and compare your results to the simulation. Additionally, it is helpful to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.