Help with Last RLC Circuit M/C Question

In summary, the conversation was about a user having trouble starting a new thread and asking for help with a homework question involving an RLC circuit. The question was about what causes a phase shift in the circuit and the user was asked to show some work before receiving help.
HookedOnPhysics
Hi everyone,
Srry to post a different homework question in your thread here, but tried to start a new topic/thread but for some reason, the system is not letting me.

Here is my question:

It's the last m/c question out of 30 that I am doing tonight, and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this one out:

Question:
When the instantaneous voltage and current in a RLC circuit are in phase...

Answer Choices are as follows:
A. Inductive Reactance is ZERO.
B. Capacitive Reactance is ZERO.
C. Total Reactance is ZERO.
D. Resistance is ZERO.

If someone can assist me with this last HW problem, I'd really appredciate it. Thanks!

HookedOnPhysics

Physics news on Phys.org
HookedOnPhysics said:
Hi everyone,
Srry to post a different homework question in your thread here, but tried to start a new topic/thread but for some reason, the system is not letting me.

Here is my question:

It's the last m/c question out of 30 that I am doing tonight, and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this one out:

Question:
When the instantaneous voltage and current in a RLC circuit are in phase...

Answer Choices are as follows:
A. Inductive Reactance is ZERO.
B. Capacitive Reactance is ZERO.
C. Total Reactance is ZERO.
D. Resistance is ZERO.

If someone can assist me with this last HW problem, I'd really appredciate it. Thanks!

HookedOnPhysics

You should start a thread for this. You are kinda hijacking the other guys thread, but... what causes a phase shift? Does resistance cause a phase shift? Does reactance cause a phase shift?

I split this off from the other thread.

That said, to the OP: our policy is that you show some work before we help you...

1. How do I solve a last RLC circuit M/C question?

To solve a last RLC circuit M/C question, you will need to use the principles of RLC circuits and apply them to the given circuit. This includes using Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and the equations for calculating the impedance and resonance frequency. You may also need to use a calculator or perform calculations by hand to determine the correct answer.

2. What is the difference between a last RLC circuit and other types of circuits?

A last RLC circuit is a special type of circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor in series. The "last" refers to the fact that the inductor is the last component in the circuit, which can affect the overall behavior and calculations. Other types of circuits may not have all three components or may have them arranged differently.

3. How do I determine the resonance frequency in a last RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency can be calculated using the equation f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance in the circuit. Alternatively, you can use the resonance frequency formula for series circuits, which is f = 1/(2π√(LC(1 - (R^2/LC)))). You will need to know the values of the components in the circuit to use either of these equations.

4. What is the purpose of using Kirchhoff's laws in solving a last RLC circuit M/C question?

Kirchhoff's laws are essential principles in circuit analysis that allow you to determine the current and voltage at different points in the circuit. In a last RLC circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) to calculate the voltage drops across each component and Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) to determine the current at different points in the circuit.

5. How can I check my answer for a last RLC circuit M/C question?

You can check your answer by using the equations and principles of RLC circuits and plugging in the values you were given in the question. You can also use a circuit simulator or calculator to input the values and compare your answer with the simulator's results. If your answer matches, then it is likely that you have solved the question correctly.