1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC circuit

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

j9ouuh.jpg

Question and part 1 as above. The second part involves solving this equation where [tex]L = 8R^2 C[/tex]. The system is kept in steady state by maintaining V(t) = -Q/C (constant). V(t) is then set to 0 at t=0.

It also says "Note that V(t)=0 for t>0 and that appropriate initial conditions
    at (or just after) t=0 are that q=Q and dq/dt= −Q/CR."

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is just very tedious math, but I managed to get it.

The second part is just a second order ODE, but I am unable to get the answer which is

255rvd5.jpg

Given the differential equation above, and substituting V = -Q/C, dV/dt = 0, the right hand side becomes a constant. This means that there is a particular integral (q = k = Q), but the answer does not have the form q = Q +... !

I did it a few times but keep getting back to the same problem. However, if I do attempt a solution that omits the particular integral, I do get the answer needed. Why is this the case?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi bigevil! :smile:

Yes, the given solution for q is a "general" solution for the original equation, and should have a Q added to it, but
    I don't completely understand what's going on here, but it seems to be changing the original RHS to zero (instead of Q/LC), so no particular solution is needed …

(perhaps they're charging the capacitor using the battery until t = 0, and then turning the battery off?)

does that make any sense? :redface:

4. May 9, 2009 #3
    Yes, I think so, tim, thanks =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook