1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC Circuit

1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    Vs6FXYA.png

The question is:

The voltage source in the above circuit is a sinusoidal AC source with constant amplitude and constant phase shift but an adjustable frequency.
    Calculate the frequency ω at which the phasor current I will have zero phase shift relative to the
    voltage source. In other words, the equivalent impedance across the voltage source behaves like a
    pure resistance with zero reactance at the required frequency.
    (HINT: Given two complex numbers such that A + jB = C + jD, then A = C and B = D by inspection,
    i.e. the real portion must equal the real portion and the imaginary portion must equal the
    imaginary portion.)

Attempt:

Since it stated that the reactance is zero, that means Z = R. So Req = (1/100+1/100)^-1 = 50. I converted the v(t) into V (phasors) which become 100. Then I = V/R, so I get 100/50 = 2. I don't know what to do next. Am I even doing it correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2015 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suggestion: when will the two reactances be equal and opposite? (giving zero sum)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  4. Nov 11, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello trying, welcome to PF :smile: !

You are doing fine. What about the hint in the exercise ? You have ## {1\over Z_{\rm total} } = {1\over Z_1 } + {1\over Z_2 } ## with 1 for branch 1 and 2 for branch 2, and all ## Z ## complex, but the imaginary part of ## {Z_{\rm total} }## equal to 0 ...

5. Nov 11, 2015 #4
    During resonance?

6. Nov 11, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the frequency the exercise is asking for Z = R, a real quantity.

7. Nov 11, 2015 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

building off what BvU said, why don't you start by getting an algebraic expression for Z

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted