Finding Reactance Ratio in Electrical Resonance

In summary: Yes, you are right, I meant ##f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}##.When you say resonant frequency do you mean ## f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}## ?Yes.And if yes, how should I use that...You can use the resonant frequency to determine the impedance at resonance and the current in terms of the generator voltage.
crom1

Homework Statement

See the picture. If at electrical resonance ##U_c=60 V## and ##U_L=40 V##, find the ratio of reactances ##\frac{X_L}{X_c}##.

Homework Equations

[/B]##Z=\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})^2}## , ## Y= \sqrt{\frac{1}{R^2} + (\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L})^2}## , ##\phi = \arctan \frac{\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}}{R}## and so on

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am not sure how exactly use given conditions, I somehow got that if there is electrical resonance , than
##R^2C=R^2C^2\omega^2L+L## but that's surely wrong, and not sure how to use the voltages given.

Attachments

• zadatak1.png
    zadatak1.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
"I somehow got" is not very strong. What does your textbook or your notes say ?

crom1 said:

Homework Statement

See the picture. If at electrical resonance ##U_c=60 V## and ##U_L=40 V##, find the ratio of reactances ##\frac{X_L}{X_c}##.

Homework Equations

[/B]##Z=\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C})^2}## , ## Y= \sqrt{\frac{1}{R^2} + (\omega C - \frac{1}{\omega L})^2}## , ##\phi = \arctan \frac{\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C}}{R}## and so on
These equations are not relevant for the circuit in the problem.

crom1 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am not sure how exactly use given conditions, I somehow got that if there is electrical resonance , than
##R^2C=R^2C^2\omega^2L+L## but that's surely wrong, and not sure how to use the voltages given.

Your equation is correct.
What is the current at resonance? What are the expressions for UL and Uc at resonance?

Likes BvU
ehild said:
These equations are not relevant for the circuit in the problem.
Maybe not these in particular, but little modified,I used them to get ## R^2C=R^2C^2\omega^2 L + L ##. I got that in two different ways (then I thought that it might be correct).
I first calculate ## Z_{RC}## (parallel) with ##Y_{RC}## and since I know ##\tan \phi##, i can calculate ## \sin \phi=\frac{\tan \phi}{\sqrt{\tan^2 \phi+1}}##, and since imaginary part of ##Z_{RLC}## has to be ##0##, then ##Z_{RC} \sin \phi = L \omega## . The other way was to calculate ##Z_{RC}= \frac{-jRC \omega}{R-jC\omega}## and so on. Is there maybe easier way to derive this formula?
ehild said:
Your equation is correct.
What is the current at resonance? What are the expressions for UL and Uc at resonance?

I am not sure, this isn't only serial or parallel circuit. Maybe
## U_L=I_{ef} \cdot X_{L} ##
## U_C=I_{ef} \cdot \frac{R}{X_C+R} \cdot X_{C}## ?

crom1 said:
Maybe not these in particular, but little modified,I used them to get ## R^2C=R^2C^2\omega^2 L + L ##. I got that in two different ways (then I thought that it might be correct).
I first calculate ## Z_{RC}## (parallel) with ##Y_{RC}## and since I know ##\tan \phi##, i can calculate ## \sin \phi=\frac{\tan \phi}{\sqrt{\tan^2 \phi+1}}##, and since imaginary part of ##Z_{RLC}## has to be ##0##, then ##Z_{RC} \sin \phi = L \omega## . The other way was to calculate ##Z_{RC}= \frac{-jRC \omega}{R-jC\omega}## and so on. Is there maybe easier way to derive this formula?
I do not think there is an easier way. I calculated the imaginary part of ZRC and added to ωL and made the sum equal to zero. But your formula for ZRC is not correct. Remember that Xc=-j/(ωC).
Knowing the resonance frequency, you can determine the impedance at resonance, and the current in terms of the generator voltage.
crom1 said:
I am not sure, this isn't only serial or parallel circuit. Maybe
## U_L=I_{ef} \cdot X_{L} ##
## U_C=I_{ef} \cdot \frac{R}{X_C+R} \cdot X_{C}## ?

It is all right. Use the result for the resonant frequency and current.

Likes crom1
Yes, you are right, I meant ##Z_{RC}=\frac{-jRX_{C}}{R-jX_{C}}##.
I got that ##Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}## and from voltages that

## \frac{U_{L}}{U_{C}}=\frac{2}{3} = \frac{X_L(X_C+R)}{RX_C} ##. Don't know what to do next.

crom1 said:
Yes, you are right, I meant ##Z_{RC}=\frac{-jRX_{C}}{R-jX_{C}}##.
I got that ##Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}## and from voltages that

## \frac{U_{L}}{U_{C}}=\frac{2}{3} = \frac{X_L(X_C+R)}{RX_C} ##. Don't know what to do next.
You need to eliminate R somehow. Use the expression of the resonant frequency.
At resonance, Z is real. Write up the complex impedance and take the real part. It becomes quite simple.

Likes crom1
Well,I did got ##Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}+j\frac{R^2X_L-R^2X_C+X_LX_C^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2} \Rightarrow Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2} ##
Now, is omega ##\omega= \frac{1}{RC} \sqrt{\frac{R^2C}{L}-1} ##?
When you say resonant frequency do you mean ## f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}## ?
And if yes, how should I use that expression?

crom1 said:
Well,I did got ##Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}+j\frac{R^2X_L-R^2X_C+X_LX_C^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2} \Rightarrow Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2} ##
Correct. Substitute the expression for Xc.
crom1 said:
Now, is omega ##\omega= \frac{1}{RC} \sqrt{\frac{R^2C}{L}-1} ##?
When you say resonant frequency do you mean ## f=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}## ?
And if yes, how should I use that expression?
I mean the angular frequency, ω, when I say frequency. Use the expression for ω to get the impedance at resonance.

Likes crom1
I am probably missing something obvious here,but how do I get impedance with ##\omega##?

From those voltage equations I got that ##R=\frac{3X_LX_C}{2X_C-3X_L}## and I tried to use that in ##R^2X_L-R^2X_C+X_LX_C^2=0## but didn't lead me nowhere.

Last edited:
How is XC and XL defined?

Is ##\omega= \frac{1}{RC} \sqrt{\frac{R^2C}{L}-1} ##?
I have impedance ##Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}## and (if that's useful at all) ##R=\frac{3X_LX_C}{2X_C-3X_L}##.
##X_L = L \omega## and ## X_C = \frac{1}{C \omega}##.
I don't know how to find impedance with ##\omega##.

crom1 said:
Is ##\omega= \frac{1}{RC} \sqrt{\frac{R^2C}{L}-1} ##?
yes.
crom1 said:
I have impedance ##Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}## and (if that's useful at all) ##R=\frac{3X_LX_C}{2X_C-3X_L}##.
##X_L = L \omega## and ## X_C = \frac{1}{C \omega}##.
I don't know how to find impedance with ##\omega##.
XC=-1/(ωC). Sustitute the expressions for XL and XC into the equation for Z. Then substitute the expression of ω.

Okay I got ##Z=\frac{L}{RC}## . How do I use that ?
Since ## \frac{X_L}{X_C}= LC\omega ^2 = 1-\frac{L}{R^2C} = 1-\frac{Z}{R}## , does it have to do something with this?

crom1 said:
Okay I got ##Z=\frac{L}{RC}## . How do I use that ?
Since ## \frac{X_L}{X_C}= LC\omega ^2 = 1-\frac{L}{R^2C} = 1-\frac{Z}{R}## , does it have to do something with this?
You know Z . What is the generator current? With the current, you get an equation for UL and UC.

You mean
##U_L=I_{ef} \cdot X_{L} ##
##U_C=I_{ef} \cdot \frac{R}{X_C+R} \cdot X_{C} ##

where ## I_{ef}= \frac{U_{ef}}{Z} ##?

crom1 said:
You mean
##U_L=I_{ef} \cdot X_{L} ##
##U_C=I_{ef} \cdot \frac{R}{X_C+R} \cdot X_{C} ##

where ## I_{ef}= \frac{U_{ef}}{Z} ##?
You know that the effective voltages are UL=IeffωL=40 V and UC=60 V.
But you get UC if you multiply Ieff with the magnitude of the impedance ZRC which is not RXc/(R+Xc).
Write the equations for UC and UL in terms of C, L, R and Ueff.
You have to get a numercal value for XC/XL.

Likes crom1
You can not get the complex impedance of the parallel resistor and capacitor correctly. The impedance of the capacitor is ##\frac{1}{j\omega C} ##, so ##Z_{RC}=\frac{1}{jωC+\frac{1}{R}}=\frac{R}{1+jωCR}##.
Its magnitude is ##|Z_{RC}|=\frac{R}{\sqrt{1+(ωCR)^2}}##
In #Post 8, you got that the impedance is
##
Z=\frac{RX_{C}^2}{R^2+X_{C}^2}
## at resonance. Substitute ##X_C=-\frac{1}{ωC}##, you get ##
Z=\frac{R}{(RωC)^2+1}
##
Compare it with |ZRC|.
You also derived that the impedance at resonance is ##Z=\frac{L}{RC}##, so you can write |ZRC| in terms of L and C. Use the equations for UL and UC and divide them. What do you get?

Likes crom1
Hi, sorry I wasn't active, I decided to practice these kind of problems more (easier problems) and then try to solve this one. I got by drawing vector diagram that:

and ##U_C## vector has angle ##\sin \phi= \frac{-U_L}{U_C} \rightarrow \sin \phi = -\frac{2}{3}##.
And ## \sin | \phi| = \frac{I_C}{I}## so ##\frac{I }{I_C} = \frac{3}{2} ##

Then ## \frac{X_C}{X_L}= \frac{I}{I_C} \cdot \frac{U_C}{U_L} = \frac{9}{4}=2.25##

Is this correct?

It is correct, and a very nice short solution. Congratulation! I prefer using complex impedances instead of vector diagrams, but my solution was very long and complicated.

crom1 said:
Hi, sorry I wasn't active, I decided to practice these kind of problems more (easier problems) and then try to solve this one. I got by drawing vector diagram that:

and ##U_C## vector has angle ##\sin \phi= \frac{-U_L}{U_C} \rightarrow \sin \phi = -\frac{2}{3}##.
And ## \sin | \phi| = \frac{I_C}{I}## so ##\frac{I }{I_C} = \frac{3}{2} ##

Then ## \frac{X_C}{X_L}= \frac{I}{I_C} \cdot \frac{U_C}{U_L} = \frac{9}{4}=2.25##

Is this correct?

To make the solution more clear, I add the phasor diagram. Because of resonance, the generator voltage U is in phas with the generator current I.

phasor.jpg

1. What is the definition of reactance ratio in electrical resonance?

The reactance ratio in electrical resonance is the ratio of the inductive reactance to the capacitive reactance in a circuit. It is a measure of how much the circuit resists the flow of alternating current.

2. How is the reactance ratio calculated?

The reactance ratio can be calculated by dividing the inductive reactance (XL) by the capacitive reactance (XC). In mathematical terms, it can be written as XL/XC.

3. What is the significance of finding the reactance ratio in electrical resonance?

Finding the reactance ratio in electrical resonance is important because it helps determine the resonant frequency of a circuit, which is the frequency at which the circuit has the highest impedance. This information is useful in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

4. How does the reactance ratio affect the behavior of a circuit in electrical resonance?

The reactance ratio affects the behavior of a circuit in electrical resonance by determining the amount of energy that is stored in the circuit at a given frequency. A higher reactance ratio results in a higher impedance and thus a greater amount of energy storage in the circuit.

5. Can the reactance ratio be adjusted in a circuit?

Yes, the reactance ratio can be adjusted in a circuit by changing the values of the inductor or capacitor, or by changing the frequency of the input signal. Adjusting the reactance ratio can change the resonant frequency of the circuit and its overall behavior in electrical resonance.