Solving RLC Circuits: Using Thevenin, Norton, etc.

In summary, the conversation is asking if Thevenin, Norton, superposition, and node analysis can be used in RLC circuits and if there are any example circuits available. The person also mentions a specific circuit from a book and asks if the components can be calculated using nodal analysis, Thevenin, or superposition, and if assuming RL as a DC motor would make a difference. They also mention that the ECG 5414 is a SCR and the RLC characteristics of the motor are not important for circuit operation.
reinaldo
hey everybody!...sorry for the stupid question...Can you use Thevenin, Norton, superposition and Node analisys in RLC circuits?...if so...could you pass some examples circuits?...Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
for example...i have this circuit i got from Industrial Electronics by Timothy Millman...can the components values be calculated using Nodal Analysis, or thevenin, or supersposition?... would it be??...what if i assume RL as a DC motor? (has some inductance and resistance)...so technically the circuit would have RLC components...

Attachments

• Dibujo.JPG
    Dibujo.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 357
You might pay attention to the fact that the ECG 5414 is a SCR.
But, barring max current limitations of the SCR the RLC characteristics of the motor are not important to the circuit operation.

1. How do I determine the values of the equivalent resistance, voltage, and current in a RLC circuit using Thevenin's theorem?

The equivalent resistance can be found by open-circuiting the voltage source and calculating the total resistance of the circuit. The equivalent voltage is equal to the voltage across the open-circuited terminals, and the equivalent current is the total current through the circuit with the voltage source removed.

2. What is the difference between Thevenin's theorem and Norton's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear circuit with voltage and current sources can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor. Norton's theorem is similar, but instead of a voltage source, it uses a current source in parallel with the resistor.

3. How do I apply Thevenin's theorem to a circuit with multiple voltage sources?

To apply Thevenin's theorem to a circuit with multiple voltage sources, you can combine the voltage sources using Kirchhoff's voltage law to find the equivalent voltage. Then, use the parallel and series resistor combination rules to find the equivalent resistance. Once you have the equivalent voltage and resistance, you can use Thevenin's theorem as usual.

4. Can Thevenin's theorem be used for non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem can only be used for linear circuits. Non-linear circuits, such as those containing diodes or transistors, cannot be reduced to a simple voltage source and resistor.

5. How do I determine the Thevenin equivalent circuit for a RLC circuit with dependent sources?

The procedure for finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit for a RLC circuit with dependent sources is the same as for a circuit with independent sources. Simply open-circuit the voltage sources and short-circuit the current sources, and then calculate the equivalent resistance and voltage using the methods described in question 1. The dependent sources will still be present in the equivalent circuit.