Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC circuits

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    speaking of R-L-C series and parallel circuits, can anyone tell me what is the physical meaning of characteristic frequency, damping ratio, overdamped, underdamped, critically damped circuits?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Have a read through this introductory page, and if you have a specific question, ask it here.

Remember that we cannot do your schoolwork for you, according to the PF rules. But if you are confused about a specific concept, we may be able to help.
  4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    You might also want to compare and contrast RLC with a mechanical spring or pendulum...
    Then, as they say, come back with specific questions.
  5. Sep 16, 2010 #4
    well thanx but i was confused in concept especially of characteristic frequency. we solve several numericals in course and derive many formulas, but still cofusion remains; how to explain these terms in physical meanings??
  6. Oct 16, 2010 #5
    i got a question. how to determine value of L and C in series RLC circuit to make it underdamped, overdamped and critically damped? just wanna know the method to find its values.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook