Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC circuits

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    speaking of R-L-C series and parallel circuits, can anyone tell me what is the physical meaning of characteristic frequency, damping ratio, overdamped, underdamped, critically damped circuits?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Have a read through this introductory page, and if you have a specific question, ask it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

Remember that we cannot do your schoolwork for you, according to the PF rules. But if you are confused about a specific concept, we may be able to help.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    You might also want to compare and contrast RLC with a mechanical spring or pendulum...
    Then, as they say, come back with specific questions.

5. Sep 16, 2010 #4
    well thanx but i was confused in concept especially of characteristic frequency. we solve several numericals in course and derive many formulas, but still cofusion remains; how to explain these terms in physical meanings??

6. Oct 16, 2010 #5
    i got a question. how to determine value of L and C in series RLC circuit to make it underdamped, overdamped and critically damped? just wanna know the method to find its values.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook