Understanding RLC Circuits: Calculating Current in a Series Circuit

In summary, a series RLC circuit with an EMF of E=200e^(-100t) V, a resistor of 80 ohms, an inductor of 0.2 H, and a capacitor of 5x10^-6 F is described by the differential equation v''+(R/L)v'+v/(LC)=E/(LC). The initial values are determined by i(0)=0 and q(0)=0, and the suggested method for solving the equation is using a Laplace transform and partial fractions.
kings13
A series RLC circuit has an electromotive force given by E=200e^(-100t) V, a resistor of 80 ohms, an inductor of 0.2 H, and capacitor of 5x10^-6 F. If the initial current and charge on the capacitor are zero, find the current at any time t>0.

How on Earth do i start this?!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, write a differential equation using KVL. Call the voltage across the cap, v(t). Then, the voltage across the inductor is Ldi/dt. The voltage across the resistor is iR. The driving voltage is E. Now, since i is going into a cap, we know that i=Cv', where v' is dv/dt. Then, putting it all together and dividng by LC gives v''+(R/L)v'+v/(LC)=E/(LC), where E is the EMF driving the circuit. Now, before you can solve this equation, you need to figure out your initial values. What does i(0)=0 imply about v'(0)? Use i(t)=Cv'(t) to find this initial value. Now, what does q(0)=0 imply about v(0)? Note that C=q(t)/V(t), so V(t)=q(t)/C.

Now you have a second order differential equation and you have two initial values to solve it. You can use any method you'd like to solve this equation, but you may find it difficult because of the driving term, E. I would suggest a Laplace transform. Then, if you get a weird answer in the s domain, use partial fractions to break it into parts which you can easily invert.

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components are used to regulate the flow of electricity and create a resonant frequency.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit works by storing energy in the inductor and capacitor and then releasing it back into the circuit. The resistor serves to dampen the oscillations and control the flow of current.

3. What is the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances are equal, resulting in the highest amplitude of current.

4. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√LC), where f is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. What are some real-world applications of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in electronic filters, radio receivers, and power supplies. They are also used in electric guitars, tuning circuits, and voltage regulators.