RLC Damped Oscillator: Why Quicker to Zero in Critically Damped Case?

In summary, the solution for a critically damped oscillation moves more quickly to zero than in the overdamped case because there is an additional term in the overdamped solution that tends very slowly to zero. This results in the solution for the overdamped case taking longer to reach zero compared to the critically damped case.
Chen
Hello,

On this page:
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/152.mf1i.spring02/Oscillations.htm
It says (and shows) that in the case of a critically damped oscillation, it moves more quickly to zero than in the overdamped case.

I don't understand why. The solution to this circuit is:

[tex]Q(t) = A e^{(i\omega - \alpha )t}[/tex]

Where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the square root of some expression that depends on R and L. The critically damped case corresponds to [tex]\omega = 0[/tex], while the overdamped case corresponds to the case in which [tex]\omega[/tex] is imaginary.

So in the critically damped case the solution is:

[tex]Q(t) = A e^{-\alpha t}[/tex]

And in the overdamped case it is:

[tex]Q(t) = A e^{(-P - \alpha )t}[/tex]

Where P is some positive number, assuming [tex]\omega = \sqrt{-P^2}[/tex]. To my best understanding, the solution should move to zero quicker in the overdamped case. However, that's not the case, as I've seen on my webpages and read in many books.

Can someone please explain this?

Thanks,
Chen

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, indeed. Thank you!

Chen

1. What is an RLC damped oscillator?

An RLC damped oscillator is a circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It exhibits oscillations in its current and voltage due to the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor, but these oscillations are gradually damped out due to the presence of the resistor.

2. What is the difference between underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped cases?

In an underdamped RLC oscillator, the damping force is not strong enough to completely damp out the oscillations, resulting in a decaying sinusoidal waveform. In an overdamped RLC oscillator, the damping force is too strong and the system returns to its equilibrium position too slowly. In a critically damped RLC oscillator, the damping force is just right and the system returns to equilibrium position quickly without any oscillations.

3. Why is the critically damped case quicker to reach zero compared to the underdamped case?

In the critically damped case, the damping force is just enough to stop the oscillations and bring the system back to equilibrium quickly. In contrast, in the underdamped case, the oscillations continue to occur and take longer to decay, resulting in a longer time for the system to reach zero.

4. How is the damping ratio related to the speed of decay in an RLC damped oscillator?

The damping ratio (ζ) in an RLC damped oscillator is directly related to the speed of decay of the oscillations. A higher damping ratio means a quicker decay, while a lower damping ratio means a slower decay. In the critically damped case, the damping ratio is equal to 1, resulting in the quickest decay.

5. What factors affect the damping ratio in an RLC damped oscillator?

The damping ratio in an RLC damped oscillator is affected by the resistance, inductance, and capacitance values in the circuit. A higher resistance or a larger inductance will result in a higher damping ratio, while a larger capacitance will result in a lower damping ratio. Additionally, the type of damping (overdamped, critically damped, or underdamped) can also affect the damping ratio.