RLC Parallel Circuit: Solving for Current & Energy

In summary, you are given the current for a circuit of this type. You are expected to use your understanding of physics to solve problems you have not seen before.
dwn

Homework Statement

See image

Homework Equations

.5Li2
.5Cv2

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I calculate the current for a circuit of this type? I am unable to find any examples in our text. Can I use the following formulas to solve for the current flowing through each component:

I(r) = V/R
I(L) = V/X(L)
I(C) = V/X(C)

Would it be possible to find the energy stored in each component at t = .4 s?

Or would it be okay to use the energy equations for the L and C, accordingly.
In this case, .5(100^2)10*10^-6 = 50mJ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 8.07.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 8.07.16 PM.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do I calculate the current for a circuit of this type?
You are given the current.

You can use kirkoffs laws.
You also have some notes about finding equivalent impedences and/or reactances and so on.
You are expected to use that information to solve problems you have not seen before.

Simon Bridge said:
You are given the current.

You can use kirkoffs laws.
You also have some notes about finding equivalent impedences and/or reactances and so on.
You are expected to use that information to solve problems you have not seen before.

huh? I'm not sure what you mean by your last two sentences...

I need to find the current going into the inductor, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to use the I(L) in order to find tat.

The problem statement you provided in the attachment does not tell you to find the current ... you are given the current for the inductor at t=0.
To find the current at another time, you will need to use this value.

huh? I'm not sure what you mean by your last two sentences...
... let me clarify:

When you said:
I am unable to find any examples in our text.
- this means that this is a problem you have not seen before. You are expected to be able to use knowledge you learn in your coursework to solve problems you have not seen before.

You asked about how to find currents and stored energy for a circuit like that.
How do I calculate the current for a circuit of this type?...
Would it be possible to find the energy stored in each component...
To do that, you have to use your understanding of AC equivalent circuits, reactances, and impedences.
You should have some notes in your coursework, and in the textbook, about these things already.

I want to get you off trying to find an existing equation and on to using your understanding of physics.
Chances are you don't have an equation to cover exactly this circuit - so you'll have to derive one.

Likes 1 person
I will give it a try and take a look at it. My mind turns into spaghetti after looking at this stuff too long! My apologies for the confusion.

1. What is an RLC parallel circuit?

An RLC parallel circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices and systems to control and regulate the flow of electrical current.

2. How do you solve for current in an RLC parallel circuit?

To solve for current in an RLC parallel circuit, you can use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the total resistance of the circuit. Alternatively, you can use Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node.

3. What is the energy stored in an RLC parallel circuit?

The energy stored in an RLC parallel circuit is the sum of the energy stored in the inductor and the energy stored in the capacitor. The energy stored in an inductor is given by the formula E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the energy, L is the inductance, and I is the current. The energy stored in a capacitor is given by the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

4. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC parallel circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC parallel circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. At the resonant frequency, the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum, and the current is at its maximum.

5. What are some real-world applications of RLC parallel circuits?

RLC parallel circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power distribution systems to regulate voltage and stabilize power supply. In addition, RLC parallel circuits are used in electronic filters to remove unwanted signals and in audio equipment to improve sound quality.