1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC phase angle - Multisim

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1

dwn

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is actually a lab I'm performing on Multisim. I've recreated a circuit that I build in lab class , but I'm not getting the output I need. I am trying to calculate the V and phase angle across each component. I already have the measurements found form the class lab. In addition to the oscilloscope terminal B not working, I'm not sure how to calculate the phase angle across the cap and inductor.

I know that each angle is -90 for cap and +90 for inductor.
    2. Relevant equations
    See images RLC.png RLC phase angle.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Measured values, but not sure how to apply to phase angle equation to find capacitor and inductor phase angles.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2

dwn

Nevermind the multisim question, I figured out what I was doing wrong. As far as calculating the phase angles: do I measure the distance between the source wave and the component wave (wave/division) then take the tan-1(dV/R)?

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The equation you have been given is for the phase of the entire circuit.

I'm not sure, but you may be looking for a "phase difference". In that case ##\phi = \omega \Delta T = 2 \pi f \Delta T## should be all you need.

5. Apr 24, 2015 #4

dwn

My second port is no longer flat-lining, and I know I have to move the placement of the resistor in the circuit in order to get a reading of it on the oscilliscope, but the scope doesn't match my Vr measurement from lab, instead its looks closer to what I got for the Vcap measure. Could someone please explain this to me?

Attached Files:

• rlc1.png
      rlc1.png
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  6. Apr 24, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have B monitoring the capacitor voltage (between the capacitor and earth), and the display shows this voltage lagging the signal voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted