How Do You Build an RLC Circuit with Specific Phase and Amplitude Requirements?

In summary, the task is to build an RLC circuit that operates at 10kHz with an output amplitude of 1/sqrt(2) and is 45 degrees out of phase from the input voltage. This can be achieved by ensuring that the values of Xl and Xc are related in a specific way, and the supply voltage is related to the voltage across the resistor (Vr) by a factor of √2.
girrafeblue22
I have been given the task of building an RLC circuit that is driven at 10kHz, has an output amplitude of 1/sqrt(2) and is 45 degrees out of phase from the input voltage.

I am not really even sure where to get started.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first point I would note is that 45 degrees out of phase means that the value of
(Xl - Xc) or (Xc - Xl) must equal the value of R.
This means that at your chosen frequency (10kHz) Xl must = 2 x Xc This would be 45 leading
OR Xc must = 2 x Xl this would be 45 lagging
This means that the supply voltage Vs = Vr x √2 (or Vs = Vl x √2,,,, or Vs = Vc x √2 )
Hope this helps
PS when I say leading or lagging I mean supply volts with reference to the current (or Vr)

Last edited:

1. What is an RLC steady state circuit?

An RLC steady state circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components create a resonant frequency, where the circuit reaches a steady state response with minimal impedance and maximum current flow.

2. How does an RLC steady state circuit work?

In an RLC steady state circuit, the resistor, inductor, and capacitor interact with each other to create a resonant frequency. The resistor dissipates energy, the inductor stores energy, and the capacitor releases energy. This energy exchange results in the circuit reaching a steady state response with minimal impedance and maximum current flow.

3. What is the importance of RLC steady state circuits?

RLC steady state circuits are important in many electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power transmission systems to regulate and stabilize voltage and current. Additionally, RLC circuits are used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators and in the study of electromagnetic waves.

4. How is the steady state response of an RLC circuit calculated?

The steady state response of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the resonant frequency formula: f = 1/(2π√(LC)). This formula determines the frequency at which the circuit reaches a steady state response, with minimal impedance and maximum current flow. Additionally, the voltage and current in the circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws.

5. What factors can affect the steady state response of an RLC circuit?

There are several factors that can affect the steady state response of an RLC circuit, such as the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, the frequency of the input signal, and the quality factor (Q) of the circuit. The quality factor represents the ratio of energy stored per cycle to the energy dissipated per cycle and can greatly impact the sharpness and stability of the resonant frequency.