1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC with extra resistors

1. May 4, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello, I am working on this problem
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399243402.897536.jpg

I am having some difficulty finding the right answer. A few points I'd like to expand on so that one can understand my thought process. First off, there is a standard table with the solution to series RLC circuits. I don't think I can use that table with what I have in this circuit. So one idea I have us to modify the circuit to look like what I want with a thevenin equivalent.

If the thevenin idea is wrong, I did nodal analysis and this is what my attempt looks like.
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399243617.704557.jpg

I get an expression but the initial current is Zero, which proves troubling to integrate. I also can't tell the nature of damping in this circuit either

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

I tried again with the thevenin, which brings me closer to the answer, but their value is

-13.33e^(-.5t)sin(.375t)

Mine is almost the same, but I have that extra -7.5 term that they don't. I get -20.83e^(-.5t)sin(.375t)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399245106.145250.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399245125.039762.jpg

4. May 9, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

At t=0 the capacitor is, presumably, fully charged, so the inductor current and voltage at this time will both be 0.

It's a second order system, so the response will be a decaying sinusoid. Where did you copy the general solution from?

What is alpha described as?

5. May 9, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

Here is the table

Alpha is the damping coefficient

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399689560.199109.jpg

6. May 11, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Possibly not. Coefficients are usually dimensionless. Your alpha has units of sec⁻¹.

Your method looks right, but you haven't finished. To determine ic you now have to multiply that derivative by C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted