Optimizing RLC Circuit with Extra Resistors for Improved Performance

In summary, the speaker is working on a problem involving a series RLC circuit and is having difficulty finding the right answer. They have attempted nodal analysis and using the Thevenin equivalent, but have encountered issues with integrating and determining the nature of damping. The speaker mentions that the general solution for a second order system is a decaying sinusoid, and asks where the other person copied the solution from. They also discuss the coefficient alpha, which is described as the damping coefficient and may not have the correct units. The speaker has not finished their solution and needs to multiply their derivative by C to determine ic.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello, I am working on this problem
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399243402.897536.jpg

I am having some difficulty finding the right answer. A few points I'd like to expand on so that one can understand my thought process. First off, there is a standard table with the solution to series RLC circuits. I don't think I can use that table with what I have in this circuit. So one idea I have us to modify the circuit to look like what I want with a thevenin equivalent.

If the thevenin idea is wrong, I did nodal analysis and this is what my attempt looks like.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399243617.704557.jpg

I get an expression but the initial current is Zero, which proves troubling to integrate. I also can't tell the nature of damping in this circuit either

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried again with the thevenin, which brings me closer to the answer, but their value is

-13.33e^(-.5t)sin(.375t)

Mine is almost the same, but I have that extra -7.5 term that they don't. I get -20.83e^(-.5t)sin(.375t)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399245106.145250.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399245125.039762.jpg

At t=0 the capacitor is, presumably, fully charged, so the inductor current and voltage at this time will both be 0.

It's a second order system, so the response will be a decaying sinusoid. Where did you copy the general solution from?

What is alpha described as?

Here is the table

Alpha is the damping coefficient

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399689560.199109.jpg

Maylis said:
Here is the table

Alpha is the damping coefficient
Possibly not. Coefficients are usually dimensionless. Your alpha has units of sec⁻¹.

Your method looks right, but you haven't finished. To determine ic you now have to multiply that derivative by C.

1. What is an RLC circuit with extra resistors?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). It is a type of resonant circuit that is used to filter or tune specific frequencies. When extra resistors are added to the circuit, it is called an RLC circuit with extra resistors.

2. What is the purpose of adding extra resistors to an RLC circuit?

The extra resistors in an RLC circuit serve to dampen the oscillations in the circuit and reduce the resonance. This can be useful in applications where a sharp resonance is not desired, such as in audio circuits or power supplies.

3. How do extra resistors affect the resonance frequency of an RLC circuit?

The addition of extra resistors in an RLC circuit lowers the resonance frequency. This is because the resistance increases the total impedance of the circuit, which reduces the overall response to the resonant frequency.

4. Can the extra resistors in an RLC circuit affect the quality factor (Q) of the circuit?

Yes, the extra resistors in an RLC circuit can affect the quality factor. Q is a measure of the sharpness of the resonance in a circuit, and adding extra resistors can decrease the Q value. This is because the resistance adds losses to the circuit, reducing the overall quality of the resonance.

5. How do I calculate the total impedance of an RLC circuit with extra resistors?

The total impedance of an RLC circuit with extra resistors can be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (ωL - 1/ωC)²), where Z is the total impedance, R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance. The extra resistors should be included in the value of R in this formula.