1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RMS & Avg. of waves

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the average and RMS voltages for the waves (See attached pictures) but I'm not sure exactly how to do it as I don't know how to get an equation for V(t)

2. Relevant equations
    I Know:

VRMS = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V(t)^2 dt}[/tex] between 0 and T

And for Avg it's just VAVG = [tex] \frac{1}{T}\int V(t) dt[/tex] between 0 and T

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought I could find the averages by finding the total area for 1 period, then dividing by 1 period. This works (I think, as I don't have the answers)

Giving for the Triangular wave: [tex]\frac{T}{3} \times \frac{10}{T} = 3.3V[/tex]

and for the second sawtooth type wave: [tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}\frac{T}{3} \times 1}{T} = \frac{1}{6}V[/tex]

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good for VAVG.

For VRMS, you'll need to write equations for the waveforms. To do that, you may choose any point to represent t=0.

4. May 25, 2009 #3
    That's the problem, I don't know what to write the equations as. The triangular wave has 3 functions. One for 0 - [tex]\frac{T}{3}[/tex] (upwards slanting triangle) one for 0 - [tex]\frac{2T}{3} [/tex] (downwards slanting triangle) and one for the last part of the waveform, which is just V(t) = 0.

What are the waveforms for the first 2 sections? And can they be summed like so?:

VRMS = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V_A(t)^2 dt} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V_B(t)^2 dt}[/tex] the first integral being from 0 to T/3 and the second from T/3 to 2T/3

5. May 25, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's pretty much the idea, except that it would be

[tex]
    \sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V_A(t)^2 dt \ + \ \frac{1}{T}\int V_B(t)^2 dt}
    [/tex]

with, as you said, "the first integral being from 0 to T/3 and the second from T/3 to 2T/3"

6. May 25, 2009 #5
    I still can't seem to figure out the RMS values. The problem I have is determining the functions V(t) for each section of the wave.

I have an exam on this tomorrow so any help would be appreciated!

7. May 25, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that the function is composed of straight line segments. Do you remember, from high school algebra,

y = mx + b

where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept?

For example . . .

. . . for the triangular wave, and 0 ≤ t ≤ T/3:

v(t) = m t + b

What is the slope m in this interval (0 ≤ t ≤ T/3)?
    What is the intercept b in this interval?

Find m and b in this interval, and you'll have the function.

Do the same for the interval T/3 ≤ t ≤ 2T/3, and you'll have v(t) in that interval as well.

8. May 25, 2009 #7
    Hmm...
    using v(t) = m t + b
    I get:
    [tex]V_A(t) = \frac{30t}{T}[/tex]
    [tex]V_B(t) = 20 - \frac{30t}{T}[/tex]

So I tried integrating all of this, then taking the root (long and tiring process!) and I got V_RMS = 4.71V

Does this sound about right?

Here's the integration I did (without the square root)

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{30^2}{T^3}\int t^2 dt + \frac{1}{T}\int 400t dt - \frac{1}{T^2}\int 600t^2 dt + \frac{1}{T^3}\int 300t^3 dt}[/tex]

With the first being between 0 and T/3 and the last 3 parts being between T/3 and 2T/3
    (there's 3 parts because of squaring [tex]20 - \frac{30t}{T}[/tex])

I hope this is right!

9. May 25, 2009 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're on the right track, but I do see a couple of errors.

You seem to have expanded (20 - 30t/T)2 incorrectly, in particular the "middle" term's coefficient of -600 is wrong.

Also, there is an extra factor of t in 3 of your integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook