Calculating RMS Current from I(t)=3+4sinwt

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current Rms
In summary, the RMS value of a current with periodicity T can be calculated using the expression I_{rms} = \sqrt{(\frac{1}{T})\int_0^T{{I(t)}^2}dt}. In this case, for the instantaneous current I(t)=3+4sinwt, the RMS value is given by \sqrt{17}.
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

If the instantaneous current is given by I(t)=3+4sinwt, what is the value of rms current?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought rms value was max val/1.414. The answer I got was [tex]\frac{7}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]. The answer given is [tex]\sqrt{17}[/tex]. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
chaoseverlasting said:

Homework Statement

If the instantaneous current is given by I(t)=3+4sinwt, what is the value of rms current?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought rms value was max val/1.414. The answer I got was [tex]\frac{7}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]. The answer given is [tex]\sqrt{17}[/tex]. Why?

Actually, the first principles definition of RMS value of a current I(t) with periodicity T is

[tex]I_{rms} = \sqrt{(\frac{1}{T})\int_0^T{{I(t)}^2}dt}[/tex]

RMS is Root-Mean-Square. That's exactly what that expression represents, written from left to right. When you evaluate it, you work from inside outward, i.e. square the current, take the mean, then take the root.

Review the derivation of the expression for the RMS of a simple sinusoidal waveform e.g. [tex]I(t) = I_0\sin{(\omega t)}[/tex] and use that method to work out the RMS here. You will need trig identities to simplify then integrate (everything becomes simple at the end because of the bounds of integration).

Thank you. I knew I was being pigheaded here. I got it now.

What is the formula for calculating RMS current?

The formula for calculating RMS current is the square root of the average of the squared current values over one complete cycle.

How do you calculate RMS current from I(t)=3+4sinwt?

To calculate RMS current from I(t)=3+4sinwt, you need to square the function, integrate it over one complete cycle, divide by the period, and then take the square root of the result.

What is the significance of calculating RMS current?

Calculating RMS current is important because it gives a measure of the effective current in an AC circuit. It is used to determine the power dissipated in a circuit and to compare the effectiveness of different AC circuits.

What are the units for RMS current?

The units for RMS current are amperes (A).

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating RMS current?

The accuracy of calculating RMS current can be affected by the number of data points used, the frequency of the AC signal, and any external noise or interference in the circuit.