Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RMS Derivation of Piecewise Sinusiodal Function

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    Calculate the root, mean, square of v(t) where
    v(t) = 0 0 < wt <= theta
    v(t) = Vm*sin(wt) theta < wt <= pi()
    v(t) = 0 pi() < wt <= pi()+theta
    v(t) = Vm*sin(wt) pi()+theta < wt <= 2*pi()

In integral form, I am confident that it looks like this.

Vrms = SQRT(1/T*INTEGRAL(Vm^2*sin^2(wt)dt)) from theta/w to pi/w AND pi+theta/w to 2*pi/w

I believe it integrates like this. My thought was that I could integrate only one of the ranges and then double my answer due to symmetry in the sinusoidal function.

Vrms = Vm*SQRT(w/2*pi*(t/2-sin(2wt)/4w)) evaluated from theta/w to pi/w

After substitions and simplification (which I have been over about 10-15 times) I get this.

Vrms = Vm - Vm*SQRT(1/pi*(theta-sin(theta)*cos(theta)))

I know this is wrong because when I evaluate this equation at theta = pi, the value is zero. The correct value is Vrms = Vm/SQRT(2) when theta = pi. I have either defined the problem wrong somehow or I have performed the integral wrong.

Many thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It appears to me that when theta = pi you should get zero. You have extended the domain of the V(t) = 0 function to the entire interval. Vrms = Vm/SQRT(2) should be the result for theta = 0. Your result does not appear to be giving that, but I'll let you check it. Check also at theta = pi/2. At that point your integral should be half the result for theta = 0 (assuming I'm right above), so Vrms = Vm/2.

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

Not sure what you mean when you say that the domain of v(t) = 0 has been extended ?to the entire interval? (confusing part between the question marks). v(t) equal zero only for a fraction of the first half cycle (and second half cycle) of the T period (0 to 2pi radians).

I will check some of the other quadrants that you mentioned. I have not done that yet. Here they are.

Vrms(theta=pi/2) = Vm*(1-1/sqrt(2))
    Vrms(theta=3pi/2) = Vm*(1/sqrt(2)-1)

One thing that I keep running into that I do not understand is that the RMS value over the entire period of an alternating signal should not be zero. I expect it to be an increasing function, not linearly, but always increasing as theta varied from 0 to 2pi radians. I would expect this even when there are equal positive and negative area(s) under the curve. Do you agree?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?