Are Car Audio Amplifier Fuse Ratings Misleading?

In summary: A 300 amp high out alternator will be enough to power your system. Also, if you are running your stereo without the engine on, it will drain your battery in a hurry.
thankz
I just bought a few car audio amplifiers, they are advertised as 6000 watts and 800 watts respectively but the fuse ratings are 60ampsx2 and 20ampsx2 so am I missing something here? I purposely bought higher wattage amps because I believe their only advertising peak power (assuming they use slo-blo fuses).

am I correct in buying high wattage advertised amps assuming I can get 1440 and 480 true rms watts out of them?

I plan on getting a low distortion high spl 18" sub in a first order bandpass box and 4 6-1/2" coax speakers and building a active crossover hooked up to a deck with a usb interface for an ipod.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are saying is reasonable I beleive.

Maybe the bigger amp can produce 6000 peak watts...but it is likely to make that at 99% distortion.

Perhaps it makes its 1440 watts at .1% distortion...don't know, have to read specs if available.

But this brings up another concern. Is your alternator powerful enough to produce a steady 160 amps and still run your car accessories? If not, will likely need bigger alternator.

I won't be running it at full blast, and it won't be on all the time so it should be ok.

btw they say .1% distortion but not at what levels.

Physics says energy is conserved.
You can't get more out than you put in.

Power is rate of doing work or using energy.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/work.html
For a brief instant you can take energy out of something faster than you're putting it in
but then you have to reduce output and let it restore the balance.

Less than highly principled marketeers use the term "peak instantaneous power" to roughly quadruple the claimed power output of their products. Power numbers sell .

You're right to question claimed power versus fuse on input.

thanks jim, I knew the power claims were funny, I just wanted to be sure.

If you are actually running 120 amps to an amp, make sure you use at least a #2 wire...or else your wire will be the fuse itself...also known as an electrical car fire.

Just keep the rated output of your alternator in the back of your head...it may work, it may not. I'm pretty sure your average car alternator these days puts out 100 to 120 amps in general...it will use all it's power to run if many car accesseries are on. If your alternator is not big enough, no biggy, buy a 300 amp high out alternator and you will be all set.

You know you will have a problem if the headlights dim or the windshield wipers slow down when the stereo is cranked. But as the smart guy I assume you are, you will work this out ahead of time. You were crunching numbers at the fuses of your amplifiers...crunch the numbers all the way to the source. The source will actually be your limiting factor.

Last edited:
buy a 300 amp high out alternator and you will be all set.

and upsize the wires between alternator and battery.

I could tell an anecdote about a Corvette that ate alternators... suffice it to say I put the seventh one on it and found the trouble. That made the owner very happy.

old jim

jim hardy said:
and upsize the wires between alternator and battery.

I could tell an anecdote about a Corvette that ate alternators... suffice it to say I put the seventh one on it and found the trouble. That made the owner very happy.

old jim

True that.

One more thing...if you run that stereo without the engine on, it will drain your battery in a big hurry...leaving you with no music and NO power to start your engine. Stranded with no tunes...not good. And that's with all the perfect wiring and 300 amp alternator.

Incidentally, at least a 350 MCM or 185mm^2 is the wire you will need from 300 amp alternator to battery.
That's a BIG wire! Lots to think about in building high power systems that weren't orgininally designed to be there!
It can be done, just needs to be well thought out.

Which brings up one more thought...is your battery capable of being charged with a max of 300 amps? Prob should consider increasing the ground size from the battery to the chassis as well!

Last edited:
thankz said:
I won't be running it at full blast, and it won't be on all the time so it should be ok.

This statement is like saying you are building a 350 small block engine to make 600 HP at 8,000 RPM.

But to save money you are going to use cast iron pistons and rods with a cast iron crank instead of using all forged parts. To justify this, you say that you will only rev the engine to 5500 RPM and only produce 400 HP.

In other words, why would you build a high powered system unless you are going to use all its power with confidence?

Do the job 100% correct to start. No regrets.

What is RMS power and why is it important?

RMS power, also known as Root Mean Square power, is a measure of the continuous power that an electrical device can handle. It is important because it provides a more accurate representation of the actual power output of a device compared to other methods of measurement.

How is RMS power calculated?

RMS power is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared values of the power over a given period of time. This is typically done over one cycle of a periodic waveform.

What is the relationship between RMS power and peak power?

RMS power is typically around 70% of the peak power of a device. This is because peak power refers to the maximum instantaneous power that a device can handle, while RMS power takes into account the average power over time.

What is a fuse rating and how does it relate to RMS power?

A fuse rating is the maximum amount of current that a fuse can safely handle without blowing. It is important to choose a fuse with a rating that is equal to or greater than the RMS power of the device it is protecting, in order to prevent damage to the device and ensure safety.

Can a device with a higher RMS power be used with a lower fuse rating?

No, it is important to always match the fuse rating to the RMS power of a device. Using a lower fuse rating can cause the fuse to blow and potentially damage the device, while using a higher fuse rating can be dangerous as it may not provide adequate protection in case of an electrical fault.