Logic Flawed? Is Rn Homotopic to Rm

• Thread starter dumbQuestion
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of homotopy and homeomorphism in topological spaces, specifically focusing on the spaces ℝ^n and ℝ^m. It is clarified that while these spaces have the same homotopy type, they are not homeomorphic. The conversation also mentions the importance of being careful with the terms "homotopic" and "homotopy equivalent", as well as noting that not all simply connected spaces are contractible. Additionally, it is mentioned that compactness is not a homotopy invariant.
dumbQuestion
Rn homotopic to Rm?!?

I am so confused about something simple

Ok, I know that Rn is contractible, just by a straightline homotopy sending all points to the origin. So this means Rn has the homotopy type of a point. So Rm, for a different integer m, has the homotopy type of a point. Since homotopy equivalence is an equivalence relation, this means that Rm is homotopic to Rn? But this is not possible right?

Can someone tell me where my logic is flawed?

Physics news on Phys.org

(another example being, (0,1) homeomorphic to R, and we know (0,1) is homotopic to S1, and also we know S1 is homotopic to R2, so that would mean R is homotopic to R2)

well... now that I think about it... it makes sense. If I have say R2, I could homotope it to R by just a straight line homotopy (every point (x1,y1) traveling straight along the line x=x1 until it reaches (x1,0)). Nevermind. I answered my own question.

There is a HUGE difference in the concept of homotopy and the concept of homeomorphism.
You are right: ℝ^n has indeed the same homotopy type of ℝ^m, still they are not homeomorphic.

Maybe this is the reason why you were confused at firsts.

Furthermore, you are wrong when you say that (0,1) is homotopic to S^1. This is false. It is also false that S^1 is homopotic to R^2.
Where did you read that? However, it is true that ℝ is homotopic to ℝ^2.

PS The fact that ℝ^n is not homeomorphic to ℝ^m, despite being quite intuitive, is hard to prove and relies on this theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invariance_of_domain

Hope I clarified a little...

You're right, I am not sure why I claimed that (0,1) is homotopic to S1. I put an extra step in there and simply meant to say:

"(another example being, (0,1) homeomorphic to R, and we know (0,1) is homotopic to R2, so that would mean R is homotopic to R2)"

What do you mean with "homotopic" in the first place? Do you mean to say that the spaces are homotopy equivalent?

Yes, I'm sorry, my prof tends to throw around the term "homotopic" broadly for both maps as well as spaces and I think that's a bad habit. (Not criticizing him because he's a great prof, this material is so obvious to him he probably doesn't even think about it because he knows the material so well) But as someone new to this material it's caused me a lot of grief because there is a difference between these two concepts. I mean to say they are homotopy equivalent yes.

dumbQuestion said:
Yes, I'm sorry, my prof tends to throw around the term "homotopic" broadly for both maps as well as spaces and I think that's a bad habit. (Not criticizing him because he's a great prof, this material is so obvious to him he probably doesn't even think about it because he knows the material so well) But as someone new to this material it's caused me a lot of grief because there is a difference between these two concepts. I mean to say they are homotopy equivalent yes.
The answer to your original question is Yes. The reason for this is that the topological space [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is simply connected for every positive integer n and thus it is contractible. And so for any 2 positive integers m≠n [tex]\mathbb{R}^m \sim \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] (and by the '~' I mean they are homotopy equivalent even though as Fedecart pointed out they are not homeomophic).

Last edited:
Zelyucha said:
TThe reason for this is that the topological space [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is simply connected for every positive integer n and thus it is contractible.

I want to warn the OP that not every simply connected space is contractible. So saying "it is simply connected and thus contractible" is not a valid implication. The valid implication would be "it is contractible and thus simply connected".

You may also want to be careful saying _where_ it is that your space is contractible,
i.e., a loop may be deformed to a point within, say R^2 , but it is not contractible as
a stand-alone space, i.e., π1(S1) ≠ {0} (Say your loop does not
intersect itself, etc. so that it is an S1).

And, as a followup to micromass, take any Sn with n>1 as an example of simply-connected but not contractible (as a stand-alone).

And, BT
W, compactness is not a homotopy invariant, since, e.g., the intervals [a,b] and [a,b) on the real line are homotopy-invariant

EDIT In above line, homotopy-invariant should be homotopy-equivalent.

Last edited:

1. What is a logic flaw?

A logic flaw is a mistake or error in reasoning that leads to an incorrect conclusion. It is a flaw in the logical structure of an argument or statement.

2. What is the difference between a logic flaw and a logical fallacy?

A logic flaw is a specific mistake or error in reasoning, while a logical fallacy is a type of flawed reasoning that is commonly used to deceive or manipulate people.

3. How can I identify a logic flaw in an argument?

To identify a logic flaw, you can examine the structure and reasoning of the argument to see if there are any inconsistencies, false assumptions, or faulty logic. You can also look for any evidence or data that may contradict the argument's conclusion.

4. Is Rn homotopic to Rm?

No, Rn (n-dimensional Euclidean space) and Rm (m-dimensional Euclidean space) are not homotopic. Homotopy is a mathematical concept that describes the continuous deformation of one space into another, and Rn and Rm have different topological properties that make them non-homotopic.

5. Why is the question "Is Rn Homotopic to Rm" considered a flawed logic?

This question is considered a flawed logic because it assumes that Rn and Rm are homotopic without providing any evidence or reasoning to support this claim. It also does not specify the values of n and m, which are necessary for determining homotopy. Without proper justification or context, this question is invalid and based on faulty reasoning.