RNA and Histones: Can a Duplex Wrap Around a Histone?

• Thread starter muadib2k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rna
In summary, the question of whether RNA can wrap around a histone, like DNA can, was raised. While the differences between RNA and DNA may not seem significant, the way RNA folds and forms structures is actually quite different. Eukaryotic organisms have a defense mechanism against double-stranded RNA, making it unlikely that RNA would wrap around a histone. Further research on this topic is needed.
muadib2k
Hey,

I'm just wondering if it would be possible for a RNA duplex wrap itself around a histone, like a DNA duplex can ? My personal guess is that it should be able to do so, since the differences between RNA and DNA aren't that large (2'-OH and one different base).

What do you guys think ?
Thanks,

Biology news on Phys.org
The RNA base might not be that different, but the way the molecule folds into a helix and the way it forms a three-dimensional molecule with lots of hairpins is actually very different from DNA.

Do you know if any research has been done on this subject ? Maybe something that would be found online ?

Thanks,

Well, actually RNA does not form a double stranded helix like DNA does. Eukaryotic organisms have a defensive mechanism by which they break down dsRNA, because viruses DO use dsRNA (thus it is recognized as foreign). Rather RNA forms very complex internal hybridizations, a simple example http://www.santafe.edu/images/rna.gif" . So RNA does not form a duplex, but more a complex stem-loop structure.

Thus I'd think it won't wrap around a histone (but I have to admit I don't know too much about dna-histone interaction (which now I'm going to change soon)).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between RNA and histones?

RNA and histones are both important biomolecules found in the cell. Histones are proteins that help to organize and package DNA into chromatin, while RNA plays a role in gene expression and protein synthesis. These molecules can interact with each other in various ways to regulate gene expression and chromatin structure.

2. Can RNA form a duplex with a histone?

Yes, it is possible for RNA to form a duplex with a histone protein. This interaction can occur through complementary base pairing between the RNA and the histone protein. The resulting RNA-histone duplex can affect the structure and function of the histone, potentially altering gene expression.

3. How does the duplex form around a histone?

The formation of a duplex around a histone involves the binding of the RNA to the surface of the histone protein, followed by the unwinding of the RNA helix and the reformation of a new duplex with the histone. This process is mediated by various factors and enzymes, and the resulting RNA-histone duplex can have regulatory effects on gene expression.

4. What is the significance of RNA-histone duplexes?

The formation of RNA-histone duplexes has been linked to various cellular processes, including chromatin remodeling, gene regulation, and the maintenance of genome stability. These interactions can also play a role in diseases such as cancer, where aberrant gene expression can be caused by disruptions in RNA-histone duplex formation.

5. Can a duplex wrap around multiple histones?

Yes, it is possible for a duplex to wrap around multiple histones. This can occur when the duplex is long enough to interact with multiple histone proteins, or when multiple RNA molecules bind to different histones and form a complex. The wrapping of a duplex around multiple histones can have different effects on gene expression and chromatin structure compared to a single RNA-histone duplex.