Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RNA and Histones

1. Mar 20, 2004 #1
    Hey,

I'm just wondering if it would be possible for a RNA duplex wrap itself around a histone, like a DNA duplex can ? My personal guess is that it should be able to do so, since the differences between RNA and DNA aren't that large (2'-OH and one different base).

What do you guys think ?
    Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The RNA base might not be that different, but the way the molecule folds into a helix and the way it forms a three-dimensional molecule with lots of hairpins is actually very different from DNA.

4. Mar 20, 2004 #3
    Do you know if any research has been done on this subject ? Maybe something that would be found online ?

Thanks,

5. Mar 20, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, actually RNA does not form a double stranded helix like DNA does. Eukaryotic organisms have a defensive mechanism by which they break down dsRNA, because viruses DO use dsRNA (thus it is recognized as foreign). Rather RNA forms very complex internal hybridizations, a simple example here. So RNA does not form a duplex, but more a complex stem-loop structure.

Thus I'd think it won't wrap around a histone (but I have to admit I don't know too much about dna-histone interaction (which now I'm going to change soon)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?