Rooting for Roaches in Space: Madagascar Hissing Roaches Thrive in Vacuum

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, despite their reputation as pests, roaches have shown incredible resilience and adaptability in extreme environments. They have been able to survive in a vacuum for over two hours and even inflate their abdomens to increase their chances of survival. This has led to the belief that they could potentially survive in space, making them ideal candidates for future space exploration missions. However, it remains to be seen how they would fare during re-entry.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually rooting for these roaches.

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060807/full/060807-7.html

Still, I had to laugh when I got to this part:

At 100 millibars — one-tenth of normal atmospheric pressure - the bugs actively pumped air into their abdomens to survive, he found, swelling themselves up in the process to about one and a half times the normal size. "It's pretty gross actually," says Cockell.

Bigelow Aerospace tested a number of different cockroaches and found that the Madagascar hissing roach, which can grow to more than 7.5 centimetres long and can weigh as much as 24 grams, proved that they had the right stuff by enduring more than 2 hours in a vacuum. "After 20 to 30 minutes they came back to life and we thought 'Oh my gosh, they deserve to go to space'," says Bigelow.

:)

Now, if only we can see how these roaches deal with the meerkats...

Zz.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
They were then in a vacuum for a few minutes before the Genesis I craft was deployed and inflated.
That would be enough to kill many creatures, but not necessarily the hardy cockroach, which can survive many weeks without food.
Lol, how does this prove anything?

You mean we can't even avoid roaches by moving to space? They would survive as stowaways? :yuck:

If we want to conquer space I suggest some sort of human roach splicing project should be set up. How well do they fair on re-entry?

1. Can roaches really survive in space?

Yes, Madagascar hissing roaches have been shown to survive in the vacuum of space for short periods of time. They are able to withstand extreme temperatures, radiation, and lack of oxygen, making them well-suited for space travel experiments.

2. How do the roaches survive in the vacuum of space?

Roaches have a hard exoskeleton that helps protect them from the harsh conditions of space. They are also able to enter a state of suspended animation, where they slow down their metabolism and conserve energy until they are in a more hospitable environment.

3. Why were Madagascar hissing roaches chosen for this experiment?

Madagascar hissing roaches are often used in scientific experiments because they are hardy and easy to care for. They are also relatively large and have a simple nervous system, making them ideal for studying the effects of space travel on living organisms.

4. How long can the roaches survive in space?

The exact amount of time that roaches can survive in space varies depending on the conditions and the individual roaches. However, they have been documented surviving for up to a month in the vacuum of space.

5. What implications does this experiment have for space exploration?

Studying the ability of roaches to survive in the vacuum of space can provide valuable insights for future space missions and the potential for sustaining life on other planets. It also highlights the resilience and adaptability of living organisms in extreme environments.

Back