1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Road Safety Calculus

1. May 16, 2013 #1
    Hi I am starting as a highway engineer. My work college has given me this to try any help woul dbe great.

A pedestrian requires to cross a two-way carriageway which is 9 metres wide to
    access a railway station. Given that the road is subject to a 30mph speed limit,
    wherein the V85% speed exceeds the limit by 24% and the pedestrian has good
    physical and cognitive skills, calculate the maximum distance away from the crossingpoint that an approaching vehicle will need to be in order for the pedestrian to safely
    complete the crossing movement. Present your methodology and the calculations
    you used to determine your answer.

Calculating Safe Distances: s =u.t + ½ a.t²

v2 – u

s = v.t + s = -------------
    2.µ.g

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi thebest99! :wink:
    first, present your methodology :smile:

4. Jun 28, 2013 #3
    What i have worked out :

85th speed exceeds the limit by 24% = 37.mph.

travels at 16.63 m/s

average driver reaction time 1.5 seconds

16.63 x 9 = 149.67 m/s x 1.5 = 224.5

am i on the right wave lengths here, thanks for any help

5. Jun 28, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, you've multiplied the car's speed by the pedestrian's distance

speed times distance wouldn't give you anything anyway (the result would be in metres-squared per second!)

find the time it takes the pedestrian to cross, and then how far away the car must be not to reach the crossing in that time :wink:

6. Jun 28, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There seems to be some information missing.
    First, it's not clear whether the pedestrian is supposed to be getting across without the driver having to brake. If so, we need to know the pedestrian's speed. Conversely, we don't care about deceleration or thinking time.
    If this is a pedestrian crossing, so the driver is supposed to stop, we need to know the car's deceleration, but we don't care about the width of the crossing.
    Btw, it should be asking for the minimum distance, not the maximum. There is no upper limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted