Is Self-Studying Enough to Get Into Radiation Oncology Program?

• Thread starter Apocryphaxz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the person has been out of school for 2 years but is now motivated and determined to get into a specific program. They are nervous about the letter of motivation and interview requirements and do not have anyone to help them with it. They are trying to gain more knowledge and experience in the field through volunteering and self-study. They are also interested in medical physics and are looking for advice and guidance.
Apocryphaxz
Hi guys/girls,

Been out of school for 2 years due to some circumstances but now I've got motivation and determination to get into the mentionned program.

I'm insanely nervous about the letter of motivation and interview in the admission's requirements. I don't know anyone who could proof read my letter or give me tips for the interview.

I'm exposing myself to cancer clinics and related fields to understand more in-depth the profession and volunteering as much as I can .

Currently self-studying Perez' Principles of Radiation Oncology and Khan's Physics for R.T. .
The math part seem a bit daunting ... (how come the rest energy of an electron is 0.511MeV? My math seem to be fine but it doesn't match up.) .

I would like to know if anyone could share their own story and p.o.v. . Would be amazing to keep this post as a progress log !

Thanks,
Aspiring Rad.Onc. student .

Physics news on Phys.org

What is Radiation Oncology?

Radiation Oncology is a medical specialty that uses high-energy radiation to treat cancer. It involves the use of ionizing radiation to target and kill cancer cells in the body, while minimizing damage to healthy cells.

What is the role of a Radiation Oncologist?

A Radiation Oncologist is a physician who specializes in using radiation therapy to treat cancer. They work closely with other members of the healthcare team to develop treatment plans and monitor the progress of patients undergoing radiation therapy.

What types of cancers can be treated with Radiation Oncology?

Radiation Oncology can be used to treat a wide range of cancers, including but not limited to breast, lung, prostate, head and neck, brain, and skin cancers. The decision to use radiation therapy as part of a treatment plan depends on various factors, such as the type and stage of cancer, the location of the tumor, and the patient's overall health.

What are the side effects of radiation therapy?

The side effects of radiation therapy vary depending on the location of the treatment and the dose of radiation used. Common side effects may include fatigue, skin irritation, and hair loss in the treatment area. However, these side effects are usually temporary and can be managed with proper care and medication.

Is radiation therapy safe?

Radiation therapy is a safe and effective treatment for cancer when administered by a qualified radiation oncologist. The treatment is carefully planned and monitored to minimize the risk of side effects and damage to healthy tissues. Patients are also closely monitored throughout their treatment to ensure the best possible outcomes.