1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Road to Reality

1. Mar 14, 2007 #1
    What kind of Physics book is The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose? What is your opinion about it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    Thank you! I shall read through those. I should have known this topic was postd previously.
  5. Mar 14, 2007 #4
    Most of the posts described the book as not suited for the average human. Would it be suited as a physics textbook for someone who highly enjoys mathematics?
  6. Mar 14, 2007 #5
    It's not a textbook per say given the lack of maths in the quantities you'd find in a textbook but it's pretty good for understanding the conceptual features of more advanced material. I couldn't get my head around the notions of a fibre bundle from a textbook but Penrose does a number of diagrams and mroe wordy explainations and that helped a lot.

If you really like maths and realise it's not a 'casual read' then it's worth the £10 or so it costs.
  7. Mar 14, 2007 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really like this ambitious book, but, as AlphaNumeric says, there isn't enought detail to learn stuff at a working level. Some may find the mathematics to be quite abstract, which, combined with the lack of detail, may cause frustration. If you find you're getting bogged down on some parts, just press on. Also, you don't have to read all of the first n-1 chapters to read chapter n. Read what interests you.

Penrose presents some standard results from unusual (and, according to him, uncontroversial) perspectives. On somer issues, however, Penrose holds views that are very controversial, and he takes care to label them as such.

All in all, one of the most fascinating books that I've read.
  8. Mar 14, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Mar 14, 2007 #8
    Same here, I have it on my book shelf, I look through it every now and then, but it is not a book that I read cover to cover.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?